Is Confluence running with a commercial developer license limited to local connections?

Milo Chan April 5, 2017

I have installed Confluence 6.1.1 on Windows 2008 R2 Server using a Developer License obtained from my.atlassian.com from a production Commercial License.

Can someone confirm that this Confluence server can be accessed only from browsers running locally on the server? (I've opened server firewall ports 80 and 443.) This is the behavior I am observing.

Are there any other physical limitations/restrictions?

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
NotTheRealStephenSifersNOPENOPENOPENOPE
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2017

Local connections no, Local users (no LDAP, ETC.) yes.

Adding more info:

7. What are developer licenses, how are they used?
Developer licenses are available to existing commercial, academic, and select Starter license holders (not available for cloud products) who wish to deploy non-production installations for use in testing and development of the Atlassian software (e.g. version upgrades, customizations to the software, etc) that should not be done on a live production instance.

Developer licenses can also be used for non-production installations of the software deployed on a cold stand-by server.

This license is provided free of charge and the maintenance expiration of this license will be synchronized to the maintenance expiration date of your product.

The technical contact for the license can generate a developer key by following these steps:

Click the Atlassian product in question - your account management screen will display.
In the Actions section click "View Developer License."
Review the Developer License agreement.
Finally click "View" to agree. A license key will be presented. Copy and paste this key into your development server.
You may generate more than one license key if running multiple pre-production, e.g. development, testing, and QA, servers.

Please note: JIRA, Confluence, Bitbucket Server and some marketplace add-on $10 Starter Licenses do include access to Developer Licenses. If you see the option to "View Developer License" in the license details panel you have access to a key. All other Starter License holders can use our evaluation license to test upgrades or purchase a second Starter License.

SOURCE: https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/purchase-licensing#licensing-7

Milo Chan April 5, 2017

Ah, okay. So I should be able to connect to the Confluence server from a remote browser.

Actually, I think I have a more basic setup problem.

I can login from a local browser, I can access the Confluence Administration pages, and I can save configuration changes.

However, whenever I try to create a new page, I can't save/publish it. I (consistently) get the error, "Unable to communicate with server. Saving is not possible at the moment.".

This is a brand-new install of 6.1.1. Storage is remote MSSQL 2014 R2 database.

Milo Chan April 5, 2017

This community post explains that Collaborative Editing is the culprit. I checked the atlassian-synchrony.log and found a bind address-in-use exception. Disabling Collaborative Editing works around the saving problem. Next step is changing Collaborative Editing to a different port, as explained here.

Milo Chan April 5, 2017

I can't figure out how to override the synchrony.port in the Windows registry. Since this is a different problem from this original post, I've created another post.

Milo Chan April 5, 2017

My bad.

I still don't know how to override the synchrony.port, but I realized that I don't need to, because the a leftover java.exe from a previous, failed Confluence install was binding port 8091.

I killed that process and Collaborative Editing started working.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events