Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid URL characters

Franko Ivasic November 19, 2020

I had a problem with invalid characters in URL, in this case it was a sign >

There is one outdated post that I can't post answer on: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Change-URL-s-in-database/qaq-p/247617

Now is situation much cleaner in the database.
I did directly in the database:

mysql> SELECT * FROM CONTENT WHERE TITLE LIKE 'BAD_URL%';
mysql> UPDATE CONTENT  SET LOWERTITLE='GOOD_URL'  WHERE CONTENTID = 411888;

(of course, use CONTENTID number showing your url, and update the other versions of the page).

Now, the question is following, couldn't atlassian guys do a validation check while saving the page?
Either inform user that special characters can't be used in URL or escape/change such a character on the fly or both things in the same time.

Many users don't think about that as more focusing in making a descriptive title of the page, not thinking about generated URL.

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2020

Hi Franko,

I understood there is already a Suggestion opened with Atlassian that you could watch (and vote for by clicking on "Vote for this issue") to show this is relevant to you.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-11285

Cheers,
Daniel

Franko Ivasic November 22, 2020

Hi Daniel, thanks for the link, this is a proper place for this suggestion.

I'm surprised this is a 12 years old suggestion!

The basic of programming is error handling, user shall not think about possible semantic errors, programmers shall take care of it.
This is not a finished job, it shall be treated like a bug issue.

Best,

Franko

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events