Internal vs. External User Admin rights

Chris Flynn March 15, 2012

If I create an internal user in Confluence and assign them to the confluence-administrators group they have more permissions than if I assign a user from the external AD. I noticed this with the User Directories. The Disable and Edit links are only available for the internal user and not for the user created in AD even though they are both part of the confluence-administrators group. Please explain how to fix this issue.

1 answer

0 votes
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2012

Hi Chris,

I think what you're seeing is the safety feature to stop you accidentally breaking an AD configuration if you're logged in with an AD user.

If you log in with an AD user Confluence doesn't let you edit the AD directory because you could potentially break the AD configuration and stop yourself being able to administer Confluence. If you need to edit the AD configuration you need to log in with an admin user that is not in AD, i.e. an internal admin.

It's just a safety feature for the user directories, but all other admin rights should be the same whether the user internal or external.

Hope that helps?

Andrew.

Chris Flynn September 26, 2012

that is exactly right, thank you very much for your response!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events