Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integration with Microsoft Streams

Shashi February 20, 2019

Hi there,

Does anyone know how you can integrate Microsoft Stream videos into Confluence? 

3 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

3 votes
Answer accepted
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 21, 2019

Hello there! Thanks for sharing with the Community.

Could you clarify if your Confluence instance is Confluence Cloud or Server?

Nonetheless, you should be able to insert an iFrame to show the content of said video:

iFrame Macro - Confluence Cloud

How to put an iFrame into Confluence - Confluence Server

Also, you can check this Microsoft Page on how to acquire the necessary information to share your videos:

Embed Microsoft Stream videos

Let us know your thoughts!

Tim Graffam May 21, 2019

@Shashi , were you able to figure out how to get this working? We're also interested in doing the same. We've tried the iFrame macro, but it results in a white box with no content.

Shrinath Desai May 23, 2019

Diego - Thank you, it worked as intended. 

Tim - I tried it on our Server edition and worked without a hitch. Able to embed MS Stream video now. 

Tim Graffam May 23, 2019

@Shashi , could you provide a bit more info on how you were able to accomplish this? We havent had any luck. We're also on Server edition.

Thanks!

You probably meant to address this question to me, so I will go ahead :) 

We did not do anything unique, Diego already provided the steps in this link and  simply followed it. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-put-an-iframe-into-confluence-598837531.html?_ga=2.238332041.884960842.1558643572-302040216.1541798380

Tim Graffam May 23, 2019

Sorry, yes, question was meant for you @Shrinath Desai. So to confirm, you used the HTML macro and not the iFrame macro? 

Unfortunately we have the HTML macro disabled for security purposes and only have access the the iFrame macro in our instance.

Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2019

Hey, thanks for replying @Shrinath Desai ! Glad to know that my response was enough to sort you out.

@Tim Graffam - not sure how it would work without enabling ALL HTML macros. I did enable it. 

Tim Graffam May 23, 2019

Yep, hence our problem of not having a way to embed MS Stream videos.

I created a feature request to add Microsoft Stream support to the Widget macro here (MS Stream should work the same as YouTube and Vimeo).

Even if you're able to use the HTML workaround, please consider voting for it for those of us who can't.

Thanks!

Agreed, voted!

Like Michał Julian Głodek likes this
Michał Julian Głodek June 19, 2019

@Shrinath Desai are you able to stream videos in full resolution (as they are played in MS Stream)? Mine are being crumpled down to some ungodly quality which is quite unacteptable while those are mainly PC desktops/apps recorded there.

I voted for the Widget Macro upgrade too!

Like Tim Graffam likes this
Shrinath Desai June 19, 2019

Yes, they are full resolution, not any different from what you would experience on MS stream itself. 

Tim Graffam June 24, 2019

@Shrinath Desai We're trying to get this working with the iFrame macro, but only end up with a white box inside the iFrame. Though we get this result with nearly any site we put in. I'm assuming/hoping this is due to the admin settings of the iFrame Macro. 

Would you mind sharing your settings page like the one shown here

**EDIT** - ah, shoot. Nevermind. I just remembered you're not actually using the iFrame macro, but the HTML macro which we don't use.

Thanks.

Like Shrinath Desai likes this
Arif Khan March 24, 2020

Dear @Diego ,

We are using Confluence Cloud version and I want to embed MS Stream videos.

I used the IFrame macro but received this error.

What am I doing wrong?

image.png

Greig Strafford March 29, 2020

@Arif_Khan When you select the embed option in Microsoft stream, you want to select the content in the "" starting after src=

E.g. 

https://web.microsoftstream.com/embed/video/whatever-your-videos-reference-is?autoplay=false&showinfo=true

You then paste this into the /iframe url field

I then select one of the dimensions that MS Stream will provide (1280x720 for us), but that does depend on the quality of the video. I then put this in the width / height fields

Like # people like this
Arif Khan March 29, 2020

Dear @Greig Strafford , The screen grab I included in my post shows just that. I clicked Preview and this is the error I got....

image.png

Arif Khan March 29, 2020

It may have something to do with permissions from Confluence on-Cloud version to MS Stream. MS Stream does not have permissions for anonymous access.

Greig Strafford March 30, 2020

@Arif_Khan you took from the <iframe width...

This would be what you copy and paste into the URL field:

https://web.microsoftstream.com/embed/video/56065cf3-b38e-49b2-8476-af52f1c3af2b?autoplay=false&amp;showinfo=true 

Like Arif Khan likes this
Arif Khan March 31, 2020

Dear @Greig Strafford , Yes it worked!

I followed the instructions on this link - which are wrong.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/portal-embed-video

Arif Khan March 31, 2020

Dear @Greig Strafford forgot to say Thank you

Like Greig Strafford likes this
1 vote
Barbara Berti
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 22, 2021

Hi Shashi,

not sure if it's still helpful but we developed a plugin that integrates Microsoft Stream into Confluence. You can find here

Best,

Barbara

0 votes
Patrick O_Connell September 2, 2021

Hello, everyone.

I can see that it's been a while since the latest comment on this, but still. I'm surprised no one on server has mentioned the Widget Connector macro. Is it not part of the standard (and as we all know, missing many things that should be standard) install?

My manager pushed back when I wanted an increase on max file size attached to any given page, and suggested I put the video segments I wanted to use on Streams.

I don't remember if I found specific instructions about this, but...

In Streams

Once you've put the name, description, etc. and the uploading has started, you'll have a button down at the bottom of the popup labelled "Share."

Click that. You'll have a popup with a link and a Copy button to the right. Hit Copy.

Hit Close at the bottom of that. Hit Publish in the window/popup behind that. Unless you want to make more changes in the "behind" one first, that is.

In Confluence

You literally just paste the link copied from Streams. Confluence auto-recognizes what it is, and creates a Widget Connector macro using your link. This can be, to a degree, configured, as with most macros.

I just discovered something quite interesting about using that macro, yesterday, but I'll create a new discussion about that.

All my best,
Pat O'Connell
Technical Writer
MindGeek Montreal

Donny Gison October 5, 2021

Hi Pat, does the Confluence video inherit the Stream permission setting? Thanks 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events