Integrate Cloud with Active Directory

I know the Atlassian Cloud doesn't support this (though I haven't a clue to why not nor have they made it a priority to do so) but can anyone suggest any other tools that would help bridge this gap?  

Specifically, we want to migrate Bamboo, Confluence and JIRA to the cloud but not having a way to communicate with our users in Active Directory is a deal-breaker. 

3 answers

0 vote

Hi Ron,

Unfortunately, LDAP integration is one of the Restricted Functions on Atlassian Cloud and there's no workaround to achieve this integration. However, there's a feature request as you can see on ID-79. Currently, the only integration supported is Google Apps (Set up Google Apps for your site).

Thanks and regards,
Paula Silveira

Thanks Paula but I realize that and quite familiar with that feature request which is going on 6 years.

I'm soliciting for other tools that would make the "connectivity" possible.

6 years? wow. You would think this would be a priority unless it's being pushed to go to the Enterprise/Server version. 

Confluence version 1 supported it, well before Cloud existed, Enterprise/Server has always had it. 

The problem is not Confluence's internals or the integration code, but the way Cloud works (or rather doesn't) with remote ADs.

Closest you can get now with Cloud is SAML authentication.

It looks like Okta offers SSO to JIRA via their SWA offering.  See www.okta.com for details, but the gist is that they require you to enter your JIRA credentials into Okta, and then they log into JIRA for you when you click on the JIRA button in their Home Page.  Since Okta can itself integrate with Active Directory, you can probably put together an AD SSO solution, if you're willing to live with entering your credentials into Okta.

Disclaimer: haven't tried this myself, but know about how the concept works because Okta has an SWA that was connecting to my company's web application for a while, before we offered SAML.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

345 views 20 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you