• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Instance Health Checks

I keep getting this error in the Jira console. Running ver 8.4.1 and using SQL server 2014

The database collation 'SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS' and table collation 'SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS' are not supported by Jira

I have read several posts about the same message.

What is the fix?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexis Robert Community Leader Nov 11, 2019

Hi @Sabel Systems , 

this means that your database collation is not configured properly, you are using a Case Insensitive collation whereas Confluence only supports Case Sensitive as you can see here : https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/database-setup-for-sql-server-9258.html#DatabaseSetupforSQLServer-2.Createadatabaseanddatabaseuser

You will need to ask your database admin to fix the database collation.

Let me know if this works, 

--Alexis

Are there steps that someone could share to do this? I set the database up for this instance.

If I run this command, it breaks JIRA when it tries to start:

ALTER DATABASE <database-name> COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS

Hi @Sabel Systems , 

the clean way to do this is to do a full XML export in Confluence first, and then setup Confluence with a new database (with the correct collation) and import the data.

Okay. What are the impacts to JIRA if I just leave as is?

The impact is that if you have 2 pages with the same title but different case, it will break stuff on your instance.

I would strongly recommend making sure the collation is correct before you go any further.

Okay. I created a brand new new database, ran the query specified:

ALTER DATABASE MyDatabseName COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS

Migrated my JIRA 8.4.1 instance from the internal database to new new database successfully

And I get the same exact result.

The database collation 'SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS' and table collation 'SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS' are not supported by Jira.

Why do I keep getting this error?

Alexis Robert Community Leader Nov 12, 2019

If you just reimported the data on SQL Server, the database will keep its collation. Did you try to backup the data from Jira with the XML backup, then setup a new Confluence that points to the empty database, and import it using the Confluence wizard ?

Like Sabel Systems likes this

Thank you for the quick reply.

Yes. Here is the process I used.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver072/switching-databases-828787577.html#Switchingdatabases-differenttype

BTW, this is JIRA and NOT Confluence

Sorry, your post is tagged as "Confluence", did not realize it was for Jira. In this case, the correct collation is Latin1_General_CI_AI. You should setup a new empty database with this collation, then run the data import.

Sorry. I didnt realize that. So this is the correct query?

ALTER DATABASE jira_db COLLATE Latin1_General_CI_AI

Yes it should be this query. I think for SQL Server you can also do this directly in the interface too.

Like Sabel Systems likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

What do you think is the most *delightful* Confluence feature? Comment for a prize!

- Create your own custom emoji 🔥 - "Shake for Feedback" on mobile 📱 - An endless supply of GIFs via GIPHY 🤩 Is there anything quite as nice as a pleasant surprise? Comment below with what...

323 views 23 8
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you