Importing Word Docs - numbered lists not ported properly

Mary Jo Dockman November 19, 2013

Use Confluence 5.1.2. When importing .doc or .docx using Tools>Import Word Document, the numbered lists will import as all 1s throughout the document. Since our documents can be quite lengthly and renumbering all affected areas time consuming and redundant, is there a solution to this problem or will there be a solution in an upcoming release? Thanks.

10 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mary Jo Dockman June 29, 2014

closing this question since it appears there isn't a way for Confluence to handle the problem.

1 vote
Mary Jo Dockman June 22, 2014

Based on the fact that this question has not been answered, it appears that Confluence does not accurately handle procedural numbering imports from Word. Hopefully this will be a feature added to a future release of Confluence as I'm sure I'm not the only user who wants to import procedural documentation into Confluence. It's unfortunatel that The lack of this feature has prevented me from using Confluence for user documentation.

0 votes
agupte August 3, 2020

The workaround is to publish the word doc to a pdf, then copy-paste the pdf contents to the confluence doc text.

Note that the copied text in confluence is not pre-formatted with the numbered listing. Eg. Hitting enter after "45. Get user feedback" will not create a numbered line item starting with "46. ". All the number line headers are plain text.

0 votes
Zorba Conlen December 11, 2019

Similar problem for non numeric bullets. Like this type:

• category 1
  • category 2
    • sub category

The bullets come in but indenting is pretty messed up and no way to correct it that I can find.

0 votes
Deleted user August 1, 2018

Is this still not sorted? We are using Confluence 6.6.3 and importing a numbered list in a word doc results in "1. 1. 1. ..."

LIU HON PONG PAUL August 7, 2019

Same here.....

0 votes
Mary Jo Dockman July 6, 2014

trying to close this question...

0 votes
jacabral June 22, 2014

I spent a full day reorganizing an imported Word document to fix the numbered list issue. I also have html help files targeted for Confluence, which I'm not sure how to handle at this point, as importing html files is non-existant.

0 votes
jacabral June 14, 2014

I'm using Word 2010 and have the same issue.

0 votes
Mary Jo Dockman November 25, 2013

I'm talking about procedure steps and sub-steps, for example. They come over in varying ways, often of which is all 1s. And when you try to renumber them or add sub-bullets or sub-steps, everything goes haywire. Confluence seems fair if you're entering content directly into their editor, but not so fine when you're importing from Word. And yet MANY of our contributors don't use Confluence so they're providing lengthy content documents (with steps or bullets or tables, etc) in Word. This makes using Confluence too much work/rework. I heard that Word 2010 is seamless now importing to Confluence, but I'd like confirmation on that. ALthough, in my company, we are required to use Word 2007 at this point. But I'd still like to know about Word 2010. Thanks!!

0 votes
Josch Bencke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2013

do you mean numbered lists as in "bulletlists" or as in "chapters" ? The latter, I would not rely on. After importing into the wiki, the fate of these references is sealed - because you suddenly will change hierarchies and pagesequence and pageorganization, splitting and unifying ....

If you need the crossreferences, I would advise developing a script for the commandline interface or use Notebpad++ and Webdav-Interface to do a global "search-and-replace" on xml sourcecode level, converting the word-references into wiki pagelinks [wiki page title#wikipagetitle-headingtitle]

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events