Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import to Confluence 4.3 from On Demand

Elise LaTorre December 3, 2012

We are currently working in Confluence On Demand while our dev team sets up our hosted version (4.3). Will we be able to export our spaces from On Demand and import them into 4.3? Any pitfalls or tips?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Elise LaTorre December 5, 2012

Hi Daniel,

We are in the process of installing 4.3 on our company servers. For now, we are working in the On Demand trial version of Confluence. Our concern is whether we will be able to import the spaces we've created. Obviously, we don't want to do a lot of work that will have to be recreated.

Does that clarify?

Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2012

Hello Elise,

I see what you are trying to do now. You are using a trial OnDemand instance, but eventually want you own version of Confluence installed on your servers. This is a great idea and should work jsut fine.

The issue is that you have to have Confluence 5.0-EAP version of Confluence I linked you to above installed on your company servers. Version 4.3.x will not be up to date enough to accept an xml export from on Demand. xml data exports only work from the same Confluence release.

The second link I included should detail the process of your export and restore in detail.

You should be able to get your Data out of OnDemand without isse.

Please let me know if that makes sense to you.

1 vote
AndrewA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2012

Hi Elise,
The one thing I would warn about is making sure that the version you are hosting is as up to date as possible when the export happens (as OnDemand is updated frequently) but if you are doing XML export of the spaces being a minor version off will typically be okay.

Cheers,
Andrew

Elise LaTorre December 4, 2012

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your response. Just to clarify, we will be:

• Exporting from On Demand (using this in trial mode now)
  • Importing into hosted 4.3

Does this change anything?

0 votes
Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2012

Hello Elise,

Just to clarify, when you say that you are migrating to hosted do you mean that you have set up your own instance on your own servers? The term "Hosted" gets a bit convoluted here at Atlassian because we had previously offered a service where you could basically deploy you instance on a slice of our machines. This was called our hosted service. It has since been superceeded with our OnDemand program.

To expand on what Andrew said. Our OnDemand Platform is running a version of Confluence that is post 4.3. We have links to download the most up to date version through our Early Access Program below.

http://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/download-eap

This is a version of our product is an early version of Confluence 5.0 that we deploy to our OnDemand instnaces.

We have the following guide that may help answer some of the transition woes.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Migrating+from+Confluence+OnDemand+to+a+Confluence+Installed+Site

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events