Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Word: splitting by Header Levels doesn't work properly

Michel January 30, 2021

Hi,

I have a Word document with Heading levels 1,2,3 and 4.  Import with split 1,2,3  works identically, splitting by Heading 4.

Any suggestions ?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 1, 2021

Hello Michel,

Thank you for bringing this up. Unfortunately, it's not possible to split beyond level 3 when importing a Word document. I've encountered this issue myself, with a customer who asked this question previously.

As a result, I created the following Jira ticket:

• CONFCLOUD-64884 On Word Doc Import, ability to split headings beyond level 3

Please click Vote on this issue because it will help to get more visibility on that feature request. It will also ensure that you receive updates on this in the future.

Thank you, and take care!

Shannon

Michel February 1, 2021

Hi @Shannon S 

the issue is not regarding level 4. The issue is , that the splitting on level 1 and 2  doesn't work at all.   The document will be splited on the level 4. I dont need it . I want to separate on level 2.

The system ignore the setting (level 1,2,3) .

Warm regards Michel

Like Angela Greaves likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2021

Hi Michel,

Thank you for verifying that. I am attempting to replicate this on my site, using the following document:

TestHeadings.docx on Dropbox 

1. I created a new page in Confluence, using the new editor, and published it.
  2. From that page, I clicked . . . > Advanced details > Import Word Document
  3. I wanted the document to replace the existing page from the next page, so I selected Replace "page name." 
  4. I confirmed that splitting each by level 1, 2, and 3 headings works as expected.

Do you run into the same issue regardless of the document you use? Can you replicate the problem using my test document?

It helps if you can also send me a screenshot of the settings you select when importing the document, and if possible, how your Word document looks.

Thank you!
Shannon

Like Laura Rusenstrom likes this
Michel February 3, 2021

Hi @Shannon S ,

thanks a lot for your effort ! I found out, what causes the issue: In my document are gaps between the headings. That means, under Heading 1 are only Headings 4. In my document ii is not an bug, it mus be so. The Heading 4 is a ortogonal, independent "labels".   I close the qestion, because it is not a normal use case.

Thansk again,

Michel

heading.jpg

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 3, 2021

Hi Michel,

I'm glad you could solve your issue! Thank you for sharing the solution with us. 

Take care,

Shannon

Like Dario B likes this
Confluence Administrator June 25, 2021

i have a similar issue. My headings in Word are H1, H2, H3 and H4. I have set the Word headings so they should split pages/child pages after import. Headings that i didnt want to affect new page creation i set to H4

When i try import, setting level 1+2, it imports H1 and H2 from Word.

But when i set level 1+2+3, it imports down to level H4 of Word, making more child pages that i want. I actually need it to import down to H3 of Word but this just isnt working correctly.

Why does it not respect the heading hierarchy? This is my first experience with Confluence and is proving to be difficult, especially after spending a day changing headings in a 800 page document so that it 'should' import correctly.

Would appreciate comments.

Oh, it may well be the case that i have a heading H2 followed by H4 on pages.

Thanks

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events