Import Confluence content into a web page

Caine Lloyd January 10, 2018

I am working to build a self-serve helpdesk including articles with product know-how and troubleshooting for my customers. 

I love using confluence for my team, but I am hoping to have some way to get it to my clients. I am using Jira Service Desk which I love for the request tools, but don't like the limited customization of the links and sections on the customer help center portal. 

Is there any way to pull confluence content dynamically into a public webpage? I could then have my web team create pages on our site to include such information and have my team update articles on our end to update our pages. I want to be able to give my clients a link to a support article page and give them the same feedback/comment options as they would using the confluence web-app. (Just not with the controls and left side-bar)

Please let me know what you think, I have been toying with Zendesk recently as their "Guide" Knowledge base options are great, but require you to also use their annoying request tools and of course their ticketing system.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2018

Have you linked your customer portals to appropriate Confluence knowledge base spaces?  That function allows Service Desk to suggest articles to help your customers out when they start raising requests and gives your Agent a quick "create KB page from this request" function.

For the Customer portal, Atlassian have started to improve the customisations you can do, but I don't think it's yet what I'd like to see.  I'm quite fond of https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.refinedwiki.jira.servicedesk.refinedtheme/server/overview which does allow for links and searching.

I should admit some bias - I don't work for RefinedWiki, but I've worked with them a few times in the past, and travelled across California with one of them recently.

Caine Lloyd January 11, 2018

I have everything properly linked, the products are functioning as expected. I simply needed a better customer portal essentially. 

I don't know why I didn't think a plugin could do just that, but thank you so much as this really helps! The issue is we are currently using Jira Cloud which prevents some of these plugins from being useful.

I was also going to ask if links connected between help desk articles would keep the customer in the article view and not drop them into confluence somehow, or if there was a direct way to get the link to the content in the article view so that I could give those links to my help desk team so that they could offer them to clients over the phone?

Caine Lloyd January 11, 2018

Edit, I saw that there was a separate plugin for cloud. You are very helpful!

0 votes
Caine Lloyd January 12, 2018

This does help, I am looking into both solutions at this point. Hoping to get something going shortly. Thanks for the info and the express documentation. It makes things really easy. 

0 votes
Thomas Rough _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2018

Hi Caine, 

Had you considered using Scroll Viewport for your self-serve helpdesk? This app allows you to deliver Confluence content (e.g. pages, blog posts etc) to the web, and I think would serve your specific use case well. 

Having a Viewport activated within your Confluence space would provide you with the option of having an alternative view for your content. For example, you could author your customer support articles in Confluence and then display this same content in a way that suits your customers' needs, via the Viewport.  Atlassian uses Scroll Viewport in this way for its own documentation section within their support portal. 

Once configured, the Viewport is available at a configurable URL and uses themes to output the content. This would mean, that you could have your own web team customise the look and feel (via HTML, CSS and JavaScript) to meet your specific requirements. 

Should you want to find out further information please see our Atlassian Marketplace listing. Additionally, you can also choose to trial the app to see if it would suit your requirements. 

I hope this information helps. 

Thanks, Thomas (K15t Software)

Melanie Pasztor September 21, 2018

No Cloud version. :/

Like Noir Spade likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events