How to upgrade from Confluence 5.04 to 7.x

Benjamin Yu December 9, 2019

I am try to upgrade Confluence 5.04 to 7.x on Linux with reverse proxy. Installation is ok, but I can't restore data from prod to stage server. Can someone help me on this difficult  upgrade. I have been trying for a few weeks. 

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2019

Hello Benjamin,

Thank you for contacting us about this. I'm so sorry to hear you've been struggling with this for so long!

Can you confirm which upgrade process you were using? Are you using the manual procedure to upgrade?

You mentioned you are trying to restore data from the production to the staging server. Does that mean you are currently trying to migrate the data from your 5.04 production server to the 5.04 staging server? Or are you trying to perform the upgrade while you are migrating from prod to staging? 

I would recommend that you first create the staging environment so that it matches the version of your production instance (5.04). Then you can proceed with attempting the upgrade there. Once the upgrade is completed successfully on the staging instance, you can then try the same exact steps on the production server.

Regards,

Shannon

Benjamin Yu December 10, 2019

I am trying to restore 5.04 data to 7.x.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 11, 2019

Benjamin,

Thank you for your response. However, I require the information I requested from you earlier in order to be able to assist you.

From my understanding, from the information you provided, this is your situation:

1. Your production instance is Confluence 5.0.4.
  2. Your staging instance is on Confluence 7.x
  3. You created a full site backup on your production instance, and you are now currently trying to install it on your staging instance.

If this is the case, please be aware that you should not migrate data and perform your upgrade at the same time. You also should not upgrade Confluence using only a site backup file.

Review the Upgrading Confluence first, so you can determine the best upgrade path:

You can choose to upgrade using the installer, or manually using a zip or tar.gz file. In most cases the installer is the easiest way to upgrade your Confluence instance.

You will need to upgrade manually if:

• you are moving to another operating system or file location as part of this upgrade.
  • you are upgrading from Confluence 3.5 or earlier
  • you are upgrading from Confluence 5.6 or earlier and previously used the EAR/WAR distribution to deploy Confluence into an existing application server. 

If you did not previously use the EAR/WAR distribution, then you can use the regular upgrade steps, which is in the first article I sent you.

If you encounter any issues, then please let me know the exact steps from the article you have completed, where you got stuck, and any error messages you see both in the UI and in your Confluence Server logs.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events