• Community
  • Products
  • Confluence
  • Questions
  • How to uninstall Confluence when getting the message 'Confluence failed to shutdown. Please kill the process manually before proceeding' ?

How to uninstall Confluence when getting the message 'Confluence failed to shutdown. Please kill the process manually before proceeding' ?

I don't get it Confluence working a.t.m. on Win Server 2008 x86 / 32 Bits. After the setup it should open the website with the wizzard, but this is not shown. (I have checked if the service is running).

When uninstalling Confluence I get the message ' Confluence failed to shutdown. Please kill the process manually before proceeding'. You can click continue, but then the same message keeps popping up. If you click exit, the uninstaller closes.

Any ideas how I can get it working and uninstalled? (I have two installations running now, on different ports as a desperate test. Both can't start, nor uninstall.)

6 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Metalak,

To shutdown Confluence you'll need to stop the windows service by opening up the windows services manager, finding the confluence (atlassian/tomcat/confluence) named service, right click and stop or click the link near the top left of the window to Shutdown.

Here is a Microsoft guide to starting/stopping services:

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/11299.aspx

Confluence's documentation on installing Confluence as a service on windows:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Start+Confluence+Automatically+on+Windows+as+a+Service

Hope this helps!

Hi Ryan, thanks for the reply. But as said in the question, I already checked if the service was running. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but I made sure it is stopped.

This looks like a serious problem in the installer/uninstaller.

Hi Metalak,

If the installer says the process is running, it's running. There's no problem uninstalling or installing or everyone in the community would be having issues.

Have you checked the task manager for any java or tomcat processes that are running? You should End Process on any of these that happen to be running.

If the service is set to automatically start on system startup, change it to manual and reboot the system. When the system restarts there should be no java or tomcat process running in relation to Confluence. Then follow these instructions:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Uninstalling+Confluence+from+Windows

If you're having trouble installing, you should probably log a support request so we can provide further personalized help by connecting via remote session. It's hard to troubleshoot system administration based of simple descriptions of the problem. If these steps I've given you don't work, please raise a support request at http://support.atlassian.com.

Ran into the same problem. Also solved by Confluence support — traced-down that port 8000 was used also by the DELL Open Manager process which glitched with the installer. Changed the port in server.xml (ConfluenceInstallFolder\conf\server.xml) to something else and it worked out just fine.

The setup I work with has two services running that use tomcat6 - one is Confluence. I manually shut down the Confluence service, however the upgrade kept asking me to shut it down.

After I stopped the other service that used tomcat6, then clicked Continue, it started the upgrade.

this problem is resolved via confluence support by changing the ports in the xmls.

had same error, splunk was using port 8000, had to stop that, then uninstall fine. hope this helps somebody, I like to get to the point. PS because I knew what ports were in use, I told confluence 5.3.4 to use 8001 and 8082, but I think the installer has a bug because it ignores that and does some checks on the default ports. if this helps some confluence developer or product manager to create a better product then my work is done.

Yeah, same here, had to manually modify the server config because the shutdown port was ignored

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Tuesday in Confluence

Add-on evaluation with confluence templates

Atlassian market place contains number of Apps/Addons which improves the capability of out of the box Atlassian products. It is good to follow a plugin evaluation process before install add-ons. So t...

44 views 6 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you