How to set a name for node in confluence clustering

Santhosh Vegolam July 16, 2018

We are using confluence 5.10.9 version we have 4 nodes in clustering  so now my requirement is set a name for nodes in clustering what ever nodes are there for user identify like node1 ,node2, node3, node4 for our nodes

Initially it shows node name as not configured 

so please suggest me how to do i want to test in staging environment but i unable to fix which file can modify and which property/something added in that file to reflect node name in confluence clustering

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 16, 2018

Hi Santhosh,

Here is the document that covers that issue for Confluence 5.10.x Data Center: Adding and Removing Data Center Nodes:

You can use the confluence.cluster.node.name system property to set the node identifier on each node so that it's easier for your users and administrators to read.

See Configuring System Properties for more information on how to set the system property.

For this question the answer was the same for Confluence 6.10 but the documents were hard to find because Confluence 5.10.x has reached End of Life status. Here is a good article for when you are ready to start planning an upgrade: Upgrading Confluence Data Center

Thanks,

Ann

santhosh kumar July 16, 2018

Hi Ann

Thanks for reply

Request you to setenv. sh file which one i added in that to reflect node name  please send exactly because i want node name as node 1 intially node name was it was not configured

please help me out

Thanks

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 16, 2018

My pleasure. Here is an example of the catalina options portion of a setenv.sh with the cluster node name system property included in the last entry:

CATALINA_OPTS="-XX:-PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -XX:-PrintTenuringDistribution ${CATALINA_OPTS}"
CATALINA_OPTS="-Xloggc:$LOGBASEABS/logs/gc-`date +%F_%H-%M-%S`.log -XX:+UseGCLogFileRotation -XX:NumberOfGCLogFiles=5 -XX:GCLogFileSize=2M ${CATALINA_OPTS}"
CATALINA_OPTS="-XX:G1ReservePercent=20 ${CATALINA_OPTS}"
CATALINA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true ${CATALINA_OPTS}"
CATALINA_OPTS="-Datlassian.plugins.enable.wait=300 ${CATALINA_OPTS}"
CATALINA_OPTS="-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -XX:+UseG1GC ${CATALINA_OPTS}"
CATALINA_OPTS="-Dorg.apache.tomcat.websocket.DEFAULT_BUFFER_SIZE=32768 ${CATALINA_OPTS}"
CATALINA_OPTS="${START_CONFLUENCE_JAVA_OPTS} ${CATALINA_OPTS}"
CATALINA_OPTS="-Dconfluence.context.path=${CONFLUENCE_CONTEXT_PATH} ${CATALINA_OPTS}"
CATALINA_OPTS="-Dconfluence.cluster.node.name=node1 ${CATALINA_OPTS}"

export CATALINA_OPTS

I look forward to hearing whether it works in your staging environment. If it works, the node name should be displayed in email notifications and in the footer.

Santhosh Vegolam July 17, 2018

Thank u so much and i will try in staging and get back to you

Santhosh Vegolam July 18, 2018

Hi Ann Worley,

I applied whatever above suggested and working fine 

Thank you so much for your help

Thanks 

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
July 18, 2018

My pleasure! Thanks for following up so the Community will know it worked for your case. :)

Santhosh Vegolam August 3, 2018

Hello Ann worley,

Good afternoon,

Here my query is in my confluence production user directories when automatically synchronization is performed by system  in LDAP

But After some time some users like 92 users are not found or some users details with some other names like Kavala babu as Frank zara (or) some users trying to login showing as no user found error like that for this temporary fix  this solution we are doing manual synchronization whenever daily this issue happens

i seen in audit log whenever it happen 

please provide the solution for fix permanently 

example in auditlog:

3 Aug, 2018 04:30:37SystemUsers and groups

User details updated

User: xxxxxxShow more
3 Aug, 2018 04:30:37SystemUsers and groups

User renamed

User: xxxxxxxShow more

Thanks

David Shapiro February 5, 2022

I added:

-Dconfluence.cluster.node.name=node1 in setenv.sh for CATALINA_OUT

but under clustering I still do not see anything show up as Node name.
1 vote
santhosh kumar July 18, 2018

Hello Ann worley 

I am facing in conflunece  ldap sync fail issue and Every possible way by me tried but not resolved can you suggest me to how toresolve 

Please help me if you required i wil provide logs also

Thanks

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
July 18, 2018

Hi Santhosh,

I understand from your other question that the LDAP sync fails and the error in the log is "Error occurred while refreshing the cache for directory". When you clear the caches under Confluence Admin>Cache management it does not refresh the cache of users from LDAP in the Confluence database. To do that, please:

1. Log in with an administrator account from the internal Confluence user directory.
  2. Edit the Novell LDAP user directory under Confluence Admin>User Directories (the edit link will not show if you are logged in under LDAP)
  3. Note the settings.
  4. Disable the existing LDAP user directory.
  5. Create a new User Directory using the same settings and sync it - a new user cache will be created.
  6. Test logging in with a user from the LDAP directory.
  7. Delete the disabled LDAP user directory if the new one works.

I am pretty sure this is what Mikael Sandberg meant when he recommended that you "delete the existing user directory and recreate it".

I look forward to hearing the result.

Thanks,

Ann

santhosh kumar July 19, 2018

Hello Ann Worley

Thanks for quick response and i will try this let you know

One small query regarding Time tracking settings one user wants for his project default instead of minutes he want hours so using behaviour plugin or through script is it possible?? and kindly  request you to if possible please share the script For time tracking settings edit for the particular project from minutes to hours

Thanku so much

Thanks

santhosh 

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
July 19, 2018

I am sorry to admit I don't know Jira well enough to provide what you are looking for. Please try posting as a new question over in the Jira collection so the Jira experts on the forum can see it better.

Santhosh Vegolam July 20, 2018

Hello Ann Worley,

Thanks for quick response on my queries and regarding LDAP sync fail issue 

My question is here after disabling the  LDAP directory and copy the new settings and while creating a new LDAP directory it will throws any errors like group memberships because we done through this confluence internal directory user/admin only and he si also part of some groups

so it causes any errors or like that ?

please suggest me

Thanks

santhosh 

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
July 20, 2018

Using the admin user from the internal directory will not cause issues with group memberships but if you are using the option "Read Only, with Local Groups" in your Confluence Admin>User Directories setup, the local group memberships will be lost when the old user directory is disabled. This is because those memberships are stored as part of the old user directory in the Confluence database.

Here is a document that might help: Migrate Local Group Memberships Between Directories. It describes a way to migrate the memberships to the new user directory using SQL, CSV files and the Atlassian Command Line Interface (CLI)

Since this is a staging environment, it may be easier to refresh it from Production data than to recreate all the local group memberships.

Santhosh Vegolam August 6, 2018

Hello Ann worley,  

Good afternoon,  

Here my query is in my confluence production 5.10.9 under General Configurations User directories when automatically synchronization is performed by system  in LDAP as per LDAP settings .But After some time some  particular users means like 92 users are not found or some users details with some other names updated like Kavala babu as Frank zara (or) some users trying to login showing as no user found error like that

So for this problem we  temporary fix  this as solution we are doing manual synchronization whenever daily this issue happens i seen in audit log whenever it happen like below

Example in auditlog:   3 Aug, 2018 04:30:37 System Users and groups User details updated User: xxxxxx Show more 3 Aug, 2018 04:30:37 System Users and groups User renamed User: xxxxxxx Show more   Thanks   

please provide the solution for this issue to fix permanently 

Thanks

santhosh

Santhosh Vegolam September 6, 2018

Hello Ann worley,

Please suggest the steps we are using postgres 9.5.10 database in our confluence 6.10.2 version due to some sync problems like user renamed after some time then back to original name so as per atlassian team we are migrated eDir from LDAP to AD successfully in staging environment but Local groups are missing so please suggest the steps to restore Group memberships from previous LDAP to present using AD 

Because present in our AD only users are there but not their group membershoips

so kindly request you to how to restore from LDAP SERVER to new MIcrosoft AD server

santhosh kumar September 11, 2018

Hello @AnnWorley

please reply asap

Thanks

santhosh 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events