Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restrict some users to specific pages in Confluence

AFM Atlassian November 11, 2018

Hi

I have created a Confluence Space but I only want a subset of the users to access a few pages.  I don't want this subset of users to access any of the other pages in the Space.

I know that I can can set all the existing pages to be Restricted Pages and that Read permissions are inherited but the problem is the Edit permissions are not.  I don't want to have to constantly set restricted permissions on newly created pages.  I'm an administrator and I know that users will create pages and not remember to set permissions (this is what administrators are for).

I found the following discussion and created a separate Space as work-around for those subset of users to use and followed Step 2 to create a separate Space and restrict that subset of users to that separate Space but when I test it by logging on as one of those users I can still see all the pages from the original Space.

Surely there is a simple way to grant access for a subset of users to specific pages that doesn't require ongoing maintenance.

Thanks

Greg

2 answers

0 votes
Maeneth January 11, 2023

To view or edit a confluence page does required license?

Will the conluence users whos having access will see all the confluence space? how to restrict it?  to reduce the billing cost?

0 votes
Mesut Yilmazyildirim
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2018

Hi Gret,

You can create pages with different permissions and create sub pages under primary pages.

I am creating a user group for every single project with all rights

I have a structure as below:

Page: Anonymous (Permission : Anonymous can view)

Page: Internal (Permission: Only for specific user group)

Page: Other (Permission: Only for subset of users)

Depending on above hierarchy, I create sub-pages and put it to the related page. 

I hope it helps

Edit: 

My suggestion is to group pages by permissions.

Page A: Give permission to Group X and Group Y

Page B: Give permission to Group X

So if you create A1, A1-1, A2 ... etc Group X and Group Y will access these pages

if you create B1, B2, B2-1 ... etc only Group X will access these pages

AFM Atlassian November 11, 2018

Hi

I'm not sure from your reply if we are on talking about exactly the same thing.

Let's say I have the following structure with 2 pages off the root:

Root ---> Page A ---> Page A1 ---> Page A2
Root ---> Page B ---> Page B1 ---> Page B2

I have 2 groups - Group X and Group Y

I want Group X to have access to all pages.  I want Group Y to only have access to Page A2.

Also, if at later date I create a new page somewhere I don't want to have to edit the permissions on that new page.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2018

Set the space permissions so that both X and Y can see the space.

Then restrict pages A and B to "group X only", then move page A2 so that it is under page C which has no restrictions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events