How to migrate Confluence from one Active Directory to another?

Chris_Walker
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 24, 2012

Hello,

I have an existing Confluence installation which is tied into our old Active Directory (AD). Company staff log into Confluence using their AD account. Other users are created using the Confluence internal directory (clients, suppliers, etc) and they authenticate against that.

I have a new AD at our new premises (a whole new network), with Company staff created within it. Their AD usernames are the same across both ADs, and we have a new Confluence installation tied into that new AD (this time using Crowd).

I need to migrate the spaces from the old Confluence to the new (which seems to be an established process). However in doing so, when a user logs into the new Confluence, will the relationship between content author and content be maintained?

Is there also a way of migrating the internal directory users from our old Confluence to our new, or do I have to re-create them all from scratch and re-issue passwords etc?

Many thanks

Chris

2 answers

0 votes
Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2012

After having experience doing this migration many times on 4 jira/confluence instances, I would say that the easies method is to do it at database level:

Look inside cwd_directory and cwd_directory_attribute and swap the config while the jira/conf is down.

Remember to backup first!

Daniel Serodio July 24, 2013

These LDAP configurations are read only on Confluence startup?

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2012

Generally if the username is exacty the same then the association will be correct. If the groups are different in the two ADs then you may have to correct imported spaces permissions etc..

Of course, test this first :) But generally I have had few issues if the usernames are the same.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events