How to make an Excel file Confluence content?

Fellow developers!

I want to embed an Excel file into a page, so that it may be edited there. It is not important to actually see the content of the Excel sheet on the page.

When I select Insert Select content/Confluence content/Excel, then Insert Office Excel macro, then under File Name, it says: "No appropriate attachments". Where do I populate the dropdown so that there is 'appropriate attachments' to select from?

BW Peter Hansen

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

Hello Peter, good afternoon! 

I think you have two situations:

1. You want to edit the Excel file in the Confluence Cloud
  2. View Excel Macro Will Not Load Attached Files

Right? 

Well,

For the first one:

You can edit the document in Confluence if you use the Macro Office Excel. 

edit_document.PNG

And it will show to you the option to Edit Document, it open a Excel File and you can edit the file. 

Observation: I think you need use the Internet Explorer to work, but I'm not sure about it.

To the second

is that what happened to you?

ex.png

If it is that.. you have a workaround:

Simply Dragging and Dropping the excel file from your local file browser into the page being edited, will bypass this behavior and allow the excel macro to load the file.

And resolution is:

• Option 1
    • Download the file from the page
    • Enter the edit mode for the desired page
    • Open a file Browser window and navigate to the downloaded file

• Drag the .xls or .xlsx file into the page being edited

• this will bypass the upload feature and attaches directly to the space, allowing the Excel macro to load appropriately. 
      • with this method it will continually fail to load when trying the upload from attachments method for future attachments.
  • Option 2

• Copy all information from the page 

• Delete the page and create a new one

• Past the information into the new page
      • This method will only copy text and require rebuilding any macro configurations, and formatting

Lemme know if I helped you. 

This is not working for me at all. I have tried dragging the Excel file into the same Confluence page, also attaching it to a different page then pointing this page to the file page, but I still get "No appropriate attachments"

image2016-12-14 15:47:44.png

It needs to be a .XLS file, not XLSX or XLSM.

.XLSX seems to work the same for me as .XLS

I think the question is how to add the Excel file to the page in the first place?

click the ellipsis (three dots) icon at top right

select Attachments

choose Browse, or from your PC file browser use the Drag-and-drop

This is indeed the answer to the original question:

"When I select Insert Select content/Confluence content/Excel, then Insert Office Excel macro, then under File Name, it says: "No appropriate attachments". Where do I populate the dropdown so that there is 'appropriate attachments' to select from?"

Like 1 person likes this

I am new to confluence and I am having the same issue. 

image.png

The macro is looking for attachments to the page.  You have to add an attachment to the page.

Either:

with the page in normal "View page" mode, i.e. not Edit mode where you insert the macro, just use your PC file browser to drag and drop a file onto the page.

Or 

Click the Ellipsis three dot icon, select <<Attachments>> and browse or drag and drop your file there.

Your macro should then kick in to life.

Like 1 person likes this

I had the file in the parent page and I was trying to add it to a child page. I added the child page title and it worked.

Thank you very much. :)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,573 views 26 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you