How to link to undefined page

Michael Mannion December 3, 2019

I apologize in advance for asking such an obvious question, but the workflow for creating page links seems to have changed since the last time I used Confluence, and the relevant documentation does not reflect what I observe when working in the current editor.

I'm editing an existing page, and would like to create a link to a new page that does not yet exist. The Confluence documentation refers to this as an "undefined page". When I attempt to create a link to an undefined page, however, I only seem to have the ability to choose from existing pages.

Per the documentation (for example, here), I should have an "Advanced" option that allows creating a new page. When I type CTRL+K or click the Link button in the editor, however, there is only a list of existing pages, with no Advanced option.

I'm an infrequent Confluence user, but recall in the past that I could create page links, including to new pages, by using square brackets (e.g. "[New Page]"). I just re-read some doc that describes this "autocomplete" behavior. Apparently it's supposed to still work, but when I type square brackets into the page they just result in those literal characters being added, without any special behavior.

My question is:

• Is it still possible to create a link to an undefined page and, if so, how?

I'm using Confluence Cloud, if that matters.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Michael Mannion December 4, 2019

Per this post, this functionality was removed from the new editor, but the documentation was not updated.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2019

Hi Michael,

Thank you for contacting us about this.

As you discovered, they're not yet possible in the new editor, but this is mentioned in our roadmap below:

This feature is currently in our short-term backlog, and you can track its progress here:

• CONFCLOUD-67129 Link to an undefined page (a page that doesn't exist yet)

There is a workaround listed there, which is:

As this is not a native feature in the new editor for now, we can keep using our undefined links by opening them on a new tab (right-clicking over the link and selecting this option, or CTRL + Right Click / COMMAND + Right Click).

To insert an undefined link on a page with the new editor, create a link with this address:

https://SITE_NAME.atlassian.net/wiki/pages/createpage.action?spaceKey=SPACEKEY 

Let me know if you have any trouble or questions about that.

Regards,

Shannon

Oli Harvey April 28, 2020

this is absolute madness - the whole point of a wiki is to create a structured document - this is virtually impossible if one has to leave the page being edited do a "create" of the new page - then "move" it to the parent you were on, then go back and edit the parent to link to the child.....nuts.

Like # people like this
Michael Mannion April 29, 2020

@Oli Harvey If you haven't done so already, would you mind please voting for the CONFCLOUD-67129 bug, as cited in @Shannon S reply above?

I'm only on a handful of Confluence/Jira product tickets. While they're pretty active, at least among the user community, the "Vote for this issue" button seems only to be a placebo. Nonetheless, it's easy enough to click. And, to be fair, Atlassian has responded to this particular ticket recently, so perhaps a fix for this regression is near at hand.

Thank you.

Like Shannon S likes this
Jason Kottler July 14, 2021

This is horrific. It absolutely abandons the concept that the wiki was born on.

Like # people like this
jreyno_sandia_gov November 12, 2021

I can't believe this feature was removed. Let's all go back to the IBM Selectrix.

Like r619090 likes this
0 votes
Adam Brooks September 6, 2022

The legacy approach was "[Page Name That Does Not Yet Exist]" to easily create a linked undefined page. It seems that the updated solution is to format as "[Page Name That Doe Not Yet Exist]()".

Hope that helps! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events