Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to keep the most current Excel data on a Confluence page?

Deleted user December 23, 2021

Team A documents stuff almost exclusively through Excel. Team B documents stuff almost exclusively through Confluence.

B relies heavily on A's Excel data, so periodically someone manually copies individual Excel cells onto Confluence. Beyond being inefficient, the problem is that the Excel file gets updated fairly regularly, the Confluence pages doesn't, so Team B ends up referencing outdated information. 

I want Team A to be able to edit their Excel files like they normally do, and I want Team B to receive that new data on Confluence in real time.

I tried out the "Office Excel" macro, but it looks like it'd still require someone to re-attach the Excel file. I see the Companion app for Cloud is retiring in 2022, so that doesn't look like a solution either.

Is there a macro that I can tell to "look for X filename.xlsx in A:\blah\blah file path"? Or something else?

-edited a typo.

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2021

Have you tried beating Team A? ;-)  

Has Team A tried editing in place?

edit-an-attached-file 

If they followed this method, then at least the attached file would always be current.

A more robust solution would be this paid plugin:

excel-for-confluence 

We have used this before to try to bridge the gap between the ludites mired in the 00s and us cool people. ;-)

And you might need to get Team A to meet Team B halfway and have the infor within their spreadhseets replicated on some other sheet to make it easier for Team B to consume.

Deleted user December 23, 2021

Thanks for the recommendations! 

2 votes
Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2021

Hi @[deleted] ,

We can also suggest trying our app - Table Filter and Charts for Confluence.

The app provides the Table from CSV macro that allows you to connect CSV files via attachments and URLs (Google Spreadsheets as well) to Confluence.

The recreated table can be further filtered, aggregated, recalculated and visualized right in Confluence with the help of other macros provided by the add-on.

1 vote
Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2022

Hi there,

As this question mentions our Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app, we are happy to introduce its new macro – Table Spreadsheet.

The macro allows you to work with fully functional Excel spreadsheets right in Confluence.

You’ll be able to use cells’ formulas, filters, conditional formatting, etc., create pivot tables and charts from the page view and edit mode.

The Table Spreadsheet macro is available for Cloud and Server/Data Center.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events