How to input a header or sentence that starts with #?

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2012

When I start a header or a paragraph with the character, #, it automatically changes it to 1. However, I don't want to number what I'm writing, I need to use the # character. For example, we have field labels in our app that start with # so I need to reference them exactly as they appear in the UI.

How do I input a header or start a sentence with this character?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jon Sword
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2012

A couple of options.

1) A backslash before the hash \#
2) Use {noformat} or {code} macros

Cheers,
Jon

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2012

That's alot of real estate to display a macro every time I need to reference #. When I tried \, that didn't seem to work. It displayed the \.

Jon Sword
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2012

Are you using the Rich Text or the Wiki Markup?
What version of Confluence are you using?

Jon Sword
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2012

BTW - The assumtion was that you would use the macros to surround a large text block.

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2012

We are OnDemand so we only have access to RTE, current version.

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2012

It seems to work if I add the \ in front of # > save the page > edit the page > remove the \.

0 votes
Mark Hrynczak
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2012

You can press 'Ctrl+z' to undo any autoformatting.

That is:

1. Type '#'
  2. Press space bar (and the # will change into a 1.)
  3. Press 'Ctrl+z' (and the 1. will change back to the #)
  4. Continue typing

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events