How to improve Confluence page load with many gliffy diagrams?

Mari Car March 25, 2021

Hi dear community,

how to improve Confluence page load with many gliffy diagrams? Unfortunately I do not have global admin rights, but space admin rights. Can you help me? 

Thank you and best regards, 

Maria 

3 answers

2 votes
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2021

Hi @Mari Car welcome to the Atlassian Community forum.

There is a work around I have read in this post: 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/How-to-improve-Confluence-page-load-with-many-gliffy-diagrams/qaq-p/437757

1. The post says, firstly check and upgrade the Confluence and Gliffy to latest version.

2. Disable the Gliffy HTML5 viewer which will force diagrams to render as PNG images in Confluence.

I haven't personally tried that as I haven't used Gliffy. You may access the post link and try if it improves the loading time for you. Alternate option is contact Gliffy support request 

Please stay safe and stay healthy.

Mari Car March 25, 2021

Hi @G subramanyam,

thank you very much, but I see no gear up right. That could be a good way. 

Stay safe and healthy too :) 

Thank you, 

Maria

Like G subramanyam likes this
1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2021

By "improve", I assume you mean "speed up"?

If so, then there are only two things that really affect this on modern computers - the volume of data and the network connection between browser and server.  A server can serve up the data very fast, and your browser is probably capable of rendering fast as soon as it has all the data it needs to do so.

If your network is ok (as it likely is as you saw it's only one page), then the problem is going to be sheer volume of data.  The two things you can do about that are

• Simplify the individual diagrams, shrinking their data size
  • Split the page into smaller ones, spreading the diagrams across separate pages

If the page is completely failing to load for view, then you might struggle to get in to edit it - is that happening here?

Mari Car March 25, 2021

ok, thank you very much. Yes, I mean "speed up", because it´s extremely slow, but I can still see the pages, so they load. 

How can I shrink the data size? 

To split the page does not make sense in my context. 

Thank you very much!

Maria

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 25, 2021

Simplify the diagrams is the only way to reduce their size.

0 votes
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 25, 2021

Hi Maria!

One way that you could improve how quickly the page loads would be by having the diagram macros stored on a different page, then using the embed function to create a link to share the diagram on your current page.

So you'd essentially need create a new page and move your Gliffy macros to it, then embed those diagrams on your current page. Let's call the new page the "Heavy Lifter" because it will have all that diagram data on it. ;)

This could become a little tedious when it comes to updating those diagrams, so I'd recommend you include a link back to the Heavy Lifter page on your current page so that it's easy to find where the diagrams are actually being stored. Because of how Gliffy's embed function works, whenever you update the diagrams on the Heavy Lifter page, the embedded viewers for the diagrams on your current page will automatically update.

I hope that makes sense! Please let me know if you have qs or need help pulling it off!

Samie

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events