Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get left navigation back on home page

Janet Dixon September 1, 2021

I somehow originally set the left navigation pane/sidebar to be hidden when users first visited the site.  I now want to display it and can't for the life of me figure out how to undo this.    When all the spaces are visited, the left sidebar is display.  It's only when first arriving at the site that it currently doesn't display.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jacob Brunson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 1, 2021

Hi Janet,

My name is Jacob and I'm a Confluence developer who has worked on this functionality. It sounds like you have selected a space as your "Site Homepage" in Confluence settings (under "Further Configuration").

Unfortunately, there is no setting to control whether or not the left navigation sidebar is shown. A custom Site Homepage will always hide the left navigation.

If you let me know a little more about your use case, I can share your feedback directly with the engineering team. Feel free to reply here or to reach out to me privately at jbrunson@atlassian.com

In case it helps, I can also share a technical detail. When users land on the custom homepage, there is a `?mode=global` parameter in the URL. Removing this parameter will cause the sidebar to show.

For example, this URL would have a hidden sidebar:

https://example.atlassian.com/wiki/spaces/ABC/overview?mode=global

While this URL would show the sidebar:

https://example.atlassian.com/wiki/spaces/ABC/overview

@Jacob BrunsonI just discovered that.  Thanks for the tip on the URL!

Alison Frane March 2, 2022

I have created a workaround for this. It's not particularly pretty, but workarounds seldom are. 

Having noted the difference in the URL between the page with sidebar and without, I simply created a button that says "reload page with left sidebar" and made it go specifically to the with-sidebar version of the URL.

The ugly part is the explanation that says "Hi there. Welcome to the Test Staff Wiki. If the left sidebar is not showing, and you want to see it, click the button to the right."

But this is, as you can tell from that message, just my playground account. I'm sure the link could be included more elegantly, but I thought I'd post my workaround here, in case someone else might find it useful.

Janet Dixon March 3, 2022

@Alison FraneThat's a cool idea.  I understand what you mean about it not being pretty, but works.  lol  We do what we must in Confluence!

Scott Beeson January 9, 2024

"A custom Site Homepage will always hide the left navigation."

BUT WHY?!

Like # people like this
0 votes
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2021

Hi @Janet Dixon ,

Could you please check this guide - https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/improved-confluence-navigation/ and I think the left sidebar can be collapsed and expanded by typing [  or dragging the right edge to the left or selecting the left facing space arrow?

I presume it can be a case if it's hidden and left . So, if you go back to home and return again the sidebar would remain minimized.

Please accept if the above solves your query else respond and allow others to share input.

Cheers

Suvradip

Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2021

Sorry Janet.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events