How to edit read only users in Confluence

Mark Hodge January 29, 2012

I have some users in confluence that are marked as "read only" when I browse users. I would like to be able to modify these account but I can't seem to figure out why. Most I would like to disable as to not count towards our user limit, however when I click disable the system responds with User "xxx" could not be disabled. The directory may be read-only.

Otherwise, I have one user that has somehow become read only overnight it would seem. I would like to re-instate his account to allow his regular editing permissions. However I see can't seem to find a way to do this either.

I can edit details, but this is only the user's name and email etc...

We are using confluence 3.5.

Thank you in advance,

Mark

3 answers

1 vote
BernardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2013

If the directory is delegated, I guess it might be related to this bug:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-22337

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2012

are those users coming from LDAP or an external user directory? If so, try removing the unwanted users from the confluence-users group.

0 votes
Mark Hodge January 30, 2012

Most come from our Jira Server, a few from the confluence internal directory.

The users are already removed from the confluence-users group and when I add that user group (in jira because confluence won't allow me to edit) it doesn't seem to change anything (i.e. they are still read only).

thanks

Jacques Basson March 14, 2016

I am experiencing the same problem any help atlassian???

Gregory Mace August 22, 2017

I am having a similar problem,  I have disabled users, they have been removed from jira, but still show up in confluence.  I've 'syncd' the user directory.  The disabled users are counting against our license and I can't get rid of them. Any help atlassian?

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2017

The queries on this page can track down the directories the users are in: How to get a list of active users counting towards the Confluence license

It is common for external directories like Crowd, JIRA or LDAP to be read-only in Confluence. Please see Managing Multiple Directories.

@Gregory Mace It sounds like your users originate in LDAP and are disabled there, are removed from JIRA as expected but remain in Confluence. Do you have an LDAP User Directory defined in Confluence or does Confluence get it's users from JIRA?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events