How to delete Files and Images

Doug Kozar March 16, 2018

How can I delete images that appear in the "Files and Images" space?

When I click the plus (+) while editing a page the first item listed is Files and images. In there are old images I have uploaded that I no longer want.

How do I delete them?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2018

Hi Doug,

It sounds like you would like to delete the attachments from a page you are editing - if you are referring to the dialog when choosing files and images "Attached to this page":

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 5.03.11 PM.png

Go back to the view mode for the page and click the three dots on the top right:

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 5.03.49 PM.png

Choose Attachments and you can delete them from the next screen, on the far right:

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 5.04.04 PM.pngI hope that is the information you are looking for. If not, please let me know more about where you are seeing the unwanted images.

Thanks,

Ann

Doug Kozar March 20, 2018

That was exactly what I was looking for @AnnWorley. Thank you.

The process makes reference to trash in some sort of space area. Is there another step in the process to delete these files from trash somewhere to get them completely removed from the system?

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 20, 2018

Hi Doug,

I am not sure whether you are using Confluence Cloud or Server, so here are the docs for both - you have to be a Space Administrator to purge items from the trash:

Cloud - Purge deleted pages

Server - Empty the trash or permanently delete a page

Here are screen shots that could help:

Cloud:

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 11.30.44 AM.png

Server:

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 11.29.20 AM.png

Thanks,

Ann

Thanks again @AnnWorley.

I am on the server version. How do I get to Space Tools? I cannot locate or find that that to get started.

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
March 20, 2018

Glad to help, Doug,

Please see: Navigating to Space Tools.

If you are a space admin the button is below the left page tree on the space where the deleted attachment was:

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 12.43.03 PM.png

If you are not a space admin, you will need someone who is to purge the trash or add you as a space administrator under Space Tools>Permissions.

One outside possibility is if you are using a very old version of Confluence, or a custom theme, the space settings could be on a Browse menu on the space, in the case of older Confluence versions and in the case of a custom theme the Space Tools could be anywhere.

Thanks,

Ann

Wow...never saw it or noticed it. Thanks !!

Diana September 28, 2018

The delete button is no longer there. It says "View | Properties | Edit file" and if you select Edit file, there is no way to delete it. It instead says to download the Atlassian companion app to edit. Can we delete without installing the companion app?

Like # people like this
Allison Fulster March 4, 2019

Diana, I am experiencing this exact same issue. My permission to delete attachments has been enabled, and yet I have no option anywhere to delete :(

0 votes
Tomas Hudik January 3, 2022

unfortunately, this answer doesnt work anymore:

image.png

Any idea howto delete un-wanted attachements?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events