Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create an orphan page in confluence?

sidhartha September 16, 2014

Please help me in creating an orphan page

5 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2017

Create a page, Go to Space Tools -> Reorder Pages , move the page on the top of the home page (outside of the tree) . 

Chip Blakely May 22, 2019

It does place the page outside of the tree and it no longer appears in the Page Tree on the left, but the page does not show up under the Space Tools>Reorder Pages>Orphaned Pages tab.

Phil January 19, 2020

This worked for me. Thanks a lot. 

2 votes
Answer accepted
waynewong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 16, 2014

Hi there,

An orphaned page is a page without any incoming links. This means that, unless you know that the page exists, you are not likely to come across it in the space during the natural course of navigation.

When you are working in a large space with a number of pages, it is difficult to keep track of all of them. An orphaned page may be redundant or may need to be referred to from another page. Confluence allows you to view all the orphaned pages in a space so you can tidy up the space by either deleting pages or reorganising them.

To create an Orphaned page:

1. Create a parent page.
  2. Create a child page under the parent page.
  3. Delete the parent page.
  4. The child page will be Orphaned.

To view the orphaned pages in a space:

1. Go to the space and choose Space tools > Content Tools on the sidebar. 
  2. Choose Orphaned Pages.

If your space uses the Documentation theme:

1. Choose Browse > Space Operations at the top of the screen.
  2. Choose Orphaned Pages in the space operations options.

You can do the following:

• Delete an orphaned page by choosing the 'trash can' icon next to the page name.
  • Edit a page by choosing the 'pencil' icon next to the page name.
  • Give an orphaned page a parent — see Moving a Page.

Hope this help.

Do let me know if you have other question.

Thank you.

Regards

Wayne Wong 

Phil January 19, 2020

Hey Wayne, thanks for your detailed answer, however, your instruction to create an orphaned page did not work for me. In my case the child page is parented by the home page after I delete its previous parent page and it does not appear in the Orphaned Pages tab. 

Like Jeff Sieben likes this
3 votes
RPT Admin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2015

My mileage varies.

I create a page called "deleteme", and then I create the child page, which I want to be discoverable via search only. i.e. it shouldn't appear in the sidebar. 

I delete the deleteme page. The expected behaviour, according to the first answer, is that my child page is orphaned. The observed behaviour is that my child page is adopted by deleteme's parent, so it appears in the sidebar.

My workflow differs. 

Create a page in another space. Move the page to the correct space without specifying a parent page. Result: an orphan page. 

0 votes
Ronald Fabricante August 15, 2018

This is not an answer but basically a question. I work with the blueprint templates a lot. Is there a way for me to create a page using the blueprint template and have it save as an orphan so that I am not seeing it added as a child page? For instance, I want to create a new product requirement page, but I do not want to see it added as a child page each time. Thank you!

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
May 17, 2019

No, it won't be possible because you create pages *under* another page. From a blueprint, the template or via the create button you cannot create an orphean page *by default*.

0 votes
Tony Brown April 22, 2016

I was able to create an orphaned page by doing the following:

1. Create the page
  2. Delete the page
  3. Go to Space Tools -> Reorder Pages
  4. Go to the Trash Tab and select Restore next to your deleted page

For me this successfully restored the page and listed it in the 'orphaned pages' tab. Good luck!

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
March 22, 2017

you don't need to delete the page smile 

Like Phil likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events