How to create a new "view" page with contents embedded from other pages?

Juan Vazquez November 8, 2011

I would like to ask if it's possible to create a new page which contains contents from another pages. The idea is which the new page acts as a "view" of other page contents.

I think an example will explain better which I would like to do. Imagine I've two pages with the next contents:

Page 1: Summary a; Section b; Section c; Results d;
Page 2: Summary e; Section f; Section g; Results h;

I would like to create a third page like this:
Page 3: Introduction; Summary a; Summary e;

And I would like to see "Page 3" updated automatically if I update "Page 1; Summary a" or "Page 2; Summary e".

Can it be done with confluence or any plug-in?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

juan

3 answers

3 votes
David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 8, 2011

I would create the summaries, sections and results as separate pages in an "inclusions library" and then build up each page using the include macro to add the components that are required

For a good overview on how to do this, check:

oooo thanks very much for your answer.

I wast just exploring the {include} macro because it allows to include contents between spaces. I think that contents organisation could be a key for successfull usage of this macro as you say :)

Your answer is very appreciated!

Regards,

juan

2 votes
David Peterson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2011

The other main plugins for this kind of thing are Reporting/Scaffolding and Metadata. Not sure if Metadata is 4.0 compatible, but Reporting/Scaffolding are not yet, but we're working on it. Keep an eye out for updates to all the above I guess - 4.0 is still a bit fresh yet for the 3rd party plugins to catch up, especially when it's such a massive change.

Hi David,

Thank you very much for your response. It's very appreciated :-)

I'll keep update about those plug-ins!

Thanks very much!

juan

Sander Brienen [Avisi]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2011

Scaffolding and reporting are mostly used for displaying lists of attributes and values on a page. Not for including complete page sections on a different page.

Although scaffolding and reporting are very powerful, I would not use these in this context.

David Peterson
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2011

Reporting is quite capable of doing that, it just needs a way to identify what you want to pull out, same as excerpt/multi-excerpt/etc. Not really a huge difference there really...

Thanks to both for your comments. Very appreciated in my case (new confluence user :) with a lot of materials for review!)

Sander Brienen [Avisi]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2011

Ofcourse reporting can do it. But why install a plugin if you can do it with out-of-the-box functionality. We always advise to use as few third party plugins as possible. Each extra plugin you install is a candidate for blocking future upgrades. We are already discovering this, where scaffolding is blocking the upgrade to Confluence 4.

David Peterson
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2011

Sure thing, I understand that. Anyway, not trying to start a flamewar. The fact is, they don't currently work in Confluence 4.0 anyway, so it's somewhat of a moot point...

Juan Vazquez November 9, 2011

Hi Sander and David,

As I said before your comments are highly appreciated. We're new in the confluence world so any comment or recommendation is valuable! We'll have into account that plug-ins could block upgrades in the future :-) It's very easy go crazy installing plug-ins! We'll evaluate which of them are really useful for us in a test environment before installing them definitely.

Thanks very much!

juan

1 vote

I've "discovered" the "excerpt" and the "include-excerpt" macros, which allows to do tat :) (sorry, new confluence user)

On the other hand exist a "multi-excerpt" plug-in:

https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugin/details/169

It isn't marked as compatible with confluence 4. Anyone knows if there is a compatible version of multi-excerpt for Confluence 4?

Regards,

juan

Sander Brienen [Avisi]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2011

An excerpt is the bit of text you would typically see before the "read more..." link. Excerpts are on the original page and can be hidden on the page itself, if you like. Include-excerpt works like the include macro but only includes the text in the excerpt-macro body. This sounds like the way to go in this case. Multi-excerpt doesn't sound useful in your situation.

You can combine the include macro with the excerpt macro's. For example, build up page1 as follows:

{excerpt}summary a{excerpt}

{include}section b{include}

{include}section c{include}

{include}results d{include}

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events