How to create JIRA Cloud issues from Confluence?

Michael Horton November 1, 2019

We use confluence in the cloud and JIRA Service Desk and JIRA software. I've highlighted a story in confluence that I want to use to auto create an issue in our JIRA cloud (software project), but I get an error when authorizing.

Authentication failed!

• An error occurred while trying to obtain an access token. 

OAuth Problem Details

• Failed to get token from service provider. Secret is missing in response.

I'm not certain where to go configure this. Do I need to go directly to the oAuth section and setup keys or do I need to do this via application links as described here?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/use-jira-applications-and-confluence-together-427623543.html

From what I can tell, this documentation is for JIRA and Confluence on-prem instances.

Any guidance you can provide would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help,

Michael

2 answers

0 votes
Michael Horton November 5, 2019

Diego,

Thank you for the trouble shooting questions, I was able to fix the issue later that Friday I posted this. My apologies for not responding earlier. These are both cloud instances, one of which was migrated from an on-prem version of service desk. The old application link reference was still there, but had been reconfigured based on the new cloud based URI’s. That was actually the problem. That particular entry wasn’t needed and was causing authentication to fail, since the two cloud services already have a native link. Once I removed the additional (old) app link entry, the integration and authentication started working.

Thanks again, and hope this helps out someone else that does a migration from on-prem to cloud.

Have a great day!

-Michael

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2019

Hello there, @Michael Horton !

I have seen this error before. It usually happens when we try to connect Confluence Cloud with Jira server (on-premises).  

We can start by looking at your Jira environment. If my assumption that Jira is a server (on-premises) instance, we can start by checking a few things:

Do you have any SSO between your applications?

Is there a proxy where you would need to whitelist IPs or domains?

Is your server instance compliant with the requirements here: [Atlassian Cloud] Link to server products from Cloud

Here is an excerpt from our documentation on how to link Cloud and Server:

The application must be accessible via either port 80 or 443.
Check that the Base URL for the server application should be set correctly.
If you want to use SSL, you need to use a valid certificate (not a self-signed certificate).
Your server needs to be reachable by the Atlassian Cloud IP range. See Atlassian Cloud IP ranges and domains for details on the IP range used by Atlassian Cloud.
The URL for the application must fulfill the RFC 1738 URL standards.

Now, I would like to ask a few questions for clarification on this issue. Here they are:

1. Has this worked at some point in the past?
  2. What there any kind of change applied to the instance (Jira) prior to this behavior?
  3. Is your Jira instance Cloud or Server?
  4. If you are using Jira Server, do you have a proxy in front of it?

Let us hear from you, Michael! Looking forward to your reply.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events