How to copy a page to a different confluence instance

xkey December 11, 2012

Prior to version 4, it's possible to copy/paste wiki markup to a different confluence installation, even with different confluence versions. All the attachment can be easily downloaded / uploaded via Zip Upload.

What's the solution for version 4 now?

I tried to simple ctrl+c and ctrl+v, the text content was copied over correctly, but the images were copied over as a link to old instance, which breaks.

More specifically, the attempt was done from version 4.1.7 to 4.3

5 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2012

For one page, cut/paste from the editor and then make repairs as necessary since copy/paste still has issues. If it is really bad, consider using Wikifier first and then insert wiki.

For multiple pages see this question: How to copy pages from one confluence to another?

xkey December 11, 2012

Yep. I have to fix page copied over manually. It is really annoying. Your CLI plugin is nice, but this is for personal wiki, no plan to purchase this yet. No offence, like all your nice work when they were free. And thanks for link to Wikifier.

I hope Atlassian will come up some native tools that can leverage storage format to boost content portability. Now as a user, I'm really concerned about my content being locked down...

Like # people like this
2 votes
RianA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2012

Hi, how we normally copy over the Confluence content to different Confluence instance, is by copying content of View Source and put it in Confluence's editor. You can get this View Source by clicking the Tools menu on the top right of page. Hope it helps :)

1 vote
Patrick Forssell December 11, 2012

Hello xkey,

Would the Confluence Export do the trick?

-Patrick

xkey December 11, 2012

Tried that too. Got errors. Didn't look into details. But I suspect that was due to version difference from 4.1.3 -> 4.3, as well as target space name is different from original space

0 votes
xkey December 11, 2012

Thanks for comment. Forgot to say, what I tried originally was to copy content from editor in old instance, same effect as copying from View Source page. The text is OK with format, all images is just a link to location on orginal confluence instance.

Other thoughts?

0 votes
xkey December 11, 2012

Can we take advantage of Storage Format? How to import into new confluence instance?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events