Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to I disable analytics fully?

vitanetworks August 9, 2020

I'm getting this warning on browsers about analytics and it scares away people. I don't want to participate in any form of data collection either.

The offending URL is: https://<confluencesite>/rest/analytics/1.0/publish/bulk, that last "bulk" bit makes me cringe. Sounds like if somebody compared/treates people like nameless livestock. It's awful.

First I thought I did this myself because I went on a rampage trying out plugins, but after entering safe mode it's still there. Analytics in general [https://<confluencesite>/plugins/servlet/analytics/configuration] is supposed to be disabled.

There is no custom code applied to the site, the biggest customization was changing the color palette using the only customization tool available. Who or what is System Favorite Character anyway?! Looking for the settings I ran into that, but nothing, at least not obvious, about this.

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 11, 2020

Hello @vitanetworks !

As I understand you need to deactivate the gathering of usage date in Confluence.

Currently, there is no “easy” way to remove the Analytics Plugin.

The procedure you finished keeps Confluence from sending Analytic data do Atlassian. What it does not is completely disable the gathering of data.

What you could do is manually disabling this plugin. There is documentation on how we can achieve this. Here it is:

Please, keep in mind that removing system plugins can result in unexpected behaviors or Confluence straight up not working.

Let us hear from you!

vitanetworks November 24, 2020

Thanks, I actually did find the locations on my own but I didn't know if I could just wipe them but the link helped.

As it utrns out, I sort of can but not those, which is not good. But instead of thinking nit too much I just took a snapshop and I deleted everything that said analytics//metrics.

This is a major issue, Atlassian leaving these "features" behind. I took me a while to come back because I went trough the code and since I'm not a dev I sort of had to learn stuff on the fly which wasn't as hard as I expected but it was still confusing just because of the sheer amount randomized text but eventually it paid off and I found out that what Atlassian is gathering is not as innocent as the privacy policy makes it seem. It's egregious which would make the privacy policy insidious.

It not only sends server installation ID but user identification as well, in detail, it's pseudo "anonymized" but if directory data is being set, it's not really anonymous it's only obfuscated--for the end users, that is, not for Atlassian.

I just lost all trust in this companoy which was only made worse by the announcement of them stabbing the on-ptem userbase in their backs.

This is how Nextcloud emerged from ownCloud after the latter made a similar move and now it's tiny compared to Nextcloud, hopefully they take a look at examples like these before they finalize these plans.

Thanks once again for your help though. The instances just finished rebooting and they seem fine. I'm expecting a million errors at login, but as long as only I or other admin sees them and not the guests, all's fine. :)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events