How do you get out of bulleted-list mode?

Gavin Stokes May 7, 2021

I can find no way to return to normal paragraph text after a bulleted list. This despite the fact that pressing Return after the last line isn't producing a new bulleted line. No matter how many blank lines I add, pressing the bulleted-list button in the toolbar to deactivate it always removes the last bullet... which I want to keep.

Here's a screen grab.

3 answers

1 vote
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2021

Hi @Gavin Stokes . I can't see the issue you are seeing both cloud and server confluence platforms. Perhaps its particular version you have. 

I viewed the video. I saw you are able to create a new line without a bullet point but it seems indented along with the other bullet points. See if you can use the outdent button.

Gavin Stokes May 7, 2021

Thanks for the reply. I don't know what was going on there. Eventually I tried Ctrl-Return to insert a hard return, and this produced another bulleted line. After that, all returns produced bulleted lines as expected, and I was able to cancel them with the toolbar control.

The editor behavior seems a little flaky. Later, I typed a hyphen and it applied strikethrough to the entire paragraph. Undo reversed that, and the next hyphen didn't do it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2021

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that things return to normal but definitely not part of the design. 

Ross Mohan December 31, 2021

Cloud platform here. Editor is quite poor.

CTRL-return in 'permanent bulleted mode' does nothing. Command-return "saves" the document, idiotically. No escape from "bullet time". Worst editor I have used. 

Like # people like this
Terry Wray March 13, 2023

I was able to exit bullet-list mode by hitting (unmodified) Enter twice at the end of a bullet-list.

Like Ross Mohan likes this
Lorraine Flack August 15, 2023

@Terry WrayYes, that works, but it's not a great solution:
The resulting JIRA tickets have weird spacings which makes them more difficult to read.
I've tried copying my weird looking content into another editor, reformatting there then pasting back in.
That does the trick: but is far from a "solution"
I'm still hoping there's a more intelligent way to lose the formatting of the previous line without adding vertical space.
Ctrl-Return unfortunately is not it - and outdent does not seem to be available on my JIRA (that might be a company thing)

Like Ross Mohan likes this
Ross Mohan August 31, 2023

Well said, and true. 

"more intelligent" is the single most-needed ingredient in the Atlassian editing experience. 

Like Sue Wood likes this
0 votes
Shadab Shafi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 1, 2024

I guess you could use the Shift+tab or click on the bullet list icon again.
Since we know it removes the bullet for the last item in the list , might i suggest you add some garbage/sacrificial list item at the end and hit the bullet list / Shift+Tab on it.
Once the list ends you can delete this garbage item and you are free to now use a new heading or whatever you want free from weird indentation.
Hardly optimal , but i guess it can work.

0 votes
Kathryn Coulter-Patel August 30, 2023

Shift + tab 

Ross Mohan August 31, 2023

will try this, thanks. Did you learn this from painful experience, or is there some clear documentation you've found on how to get the "challenged" Atlassian editors to respond more normally?

Kathryn Coulter-Patel February 6, 2024

A bit of luck and playing around ;-)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events