How do you delete unused label in Confluence cloud?

Michel Mathia August 28, 2019

Hello,

On Confluence Cloud, in my label list (accessible with "Labels list" macro) I have some unused label. By "unused label" I mean that when I click on the label, there's no instance of this label being used, so it should not appear on the labels list at all.

NB: The trash is empty, There are no undefined pages, There are no orphaned pages, No templates contains to the unused label. 

Could it be because of unpublished pages? if so how do I find all the unpublished pages?

A previous discussion didn't bring me help as it's old and for server version: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/How-do-you-delete-unused-labels/qaq-p/211610

Thanks in advance for your feedback

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2019

Hello Michel,

Thank you for contacting us about this.

There's a bug right now where removed labels are still appearing on the Labels List Macro:

• CONFCLOUD-58953 Labels not being used anymore still show on Labels list macro

I believe you might be referring to this issue here. At this time, there's no workaround for that issue.

Please click This affects my team on the above link. You will be automatically added to the list of watchers who will receive updates on the status of the bug.

Thank you again, and have a pleasant weekend.

Regards,

Shannon

Michel Mathia September 2, 2019

Hello Shannon,
Thanks that's exactly the behavior I obverse. I wasn't sure if it was a bug or a wrong user manipulation

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 2, 2019

Thank you for confirming that, Michel.

Hopefully, we will see a resolution on this shortly.

Take care, and have a pleasant week.

Regards,

Shannon

Like Michel Mathia likes this
Robin_Allerton April 8, 2022

This bug seems to still exist.  is it going to be fixed?

Like # people like this
Grant Kohlmeier May 2, 2023

This bug is really sticking around, are other's still finding this?

Mattia Sartor July 20, 2023

you should check also for every macro or label used in things like page properties and page properties report, etc.
Because you can create a new label from a Page Properties Report, and if it's there it will be still visible.
I'm not sure about labels still existing in the trash, I cannot give you a good answer on that

1 vote
Cheryl Mitchell April 15, 2022

I have learned that if a document or page gets deleted before labels are removed from it, those labels go on to live for eternity. So, remove labels before deleting. 

0 votes
katie.velazco October 5, 2020

I have this problem too. I eventually did a workaround by excluding those unused tags in the labels list macro. 

Harald December 20, 2020

Thank you for the tipp. 
I hope that now really soon a fix comes.
Shannon already wrote on Sep 02, 2019:
Hopefully, we will see a resolution on this shortly.

Best regards 
Harald 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events