Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you comment on the Confluence 4.3 documentation?

Felicity Chapman February 13, 2013

Not sure if I'm being particularly obtuse, but I don't appear to be able to add comments to the Confluence 4.3 documentation. I'm trying to add comments to https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF43/Confluence+4+further+discussion. I've logged in but cannot see any way to comment.

Any ideas?

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Felicity Chapman February 28, 2013

I'd forgotten that this is how Atlassian manage their documentation. Although Confluence 4.3 was still the most recent released version of Confluence at the time, the space had been copied and locked down in preparation for Confluence 5.0. Atlassian only make commenting available on the "latest" version of the documentation. While I can see that this makes sense, it is a little frustrating to have a discussion page where you cannot actually discuss anything. Perhaps they should consider adding a link to the latest instance of that page for people who want to add a comment.

Incidentally, I don't know if I'm the only person who finds the comments on pages very difficult to navigate. On some pages (for example, PDF export), the comments date back over many years and over many changes to the capabilities of the function. You have to wade through all the comments on old versions to find what you're interested in. It's easy to think that you've found a solution only to discover that actually this is no longer possible in your version of Confluence.

0 votes
Deleted user April 16, 2013

I also notice that comments have been deleted from the old documentation, including the (occasionally very amusing) rants about the withdrawal of wiki markup on the https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF43/Confluence+4+Editor+-+Customer+Feedback page.

0 votes
Felicity Chapman March 5, 2013

Glad that my comment was useful. I've benefited so much from finding interesting ideas on other people's comments and threads.

0 votes
KPAH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2013

I'm sorry to hijack this thread, but I can't find another way to contact a user here. I just wanted to say thank you so very much for your review http://marketplace.atlassian.com/users/1219055 I didn't know (and neigher does documentation mention it) you could really paste that ac macro code into user macros, and I couldn't believe it would work either. I thought you actually had to write the whole macro source code completely. But it does, and it will really simplify the heave Confluence customization I'm on to.

Thank you so much, you really made my day.

0 votes
Bruna Griebeler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2013

Indeed the comments are not enabled on this page.

Let me check with Sarah (the page creator) if that supposed to be like that or if they are going to open the pages for comments.

Cheers

Thanks. That's very helpful.

0 votes

Thanks for checking. I couldn't see an easy way to tell them that there was a problem. A bit daft having a page for discussion and having commenting disabled.

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2013

Can't comment either. Probably someone has forgotten to grant us the right to do so ... :-)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events