Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I remove/edit a member from a Team Space in Confluence?

Amanda Chu April 15, 2014

I created a Team Space and added member to the space. Now I need to remove and edit their permission, how do I do that? I see the list of people on the Watch Space and it says I cannot edit the list. Please advise.

3 answers

2 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2021

Hello Community!

We have recently noticed a lot of activity on this post, so I wanted to address the discussion surrounding the initial question's topic.

Amanda asked this question back in 2014. The issue is concerning editing watchers and permissions for a space created using the Team Space Blueprint on Confluence Server. This Blueprint is unrelated to the similarly named feature, Atlassian Teams, a feature rolled to Atlassian Cloud in 2019. (ref: Atlassian Cloud changes Jan 28 to Feb 4, 2019). 

I can understand the confusion because when I think of the word 'team,' the Atlassian Cloud Teams feature is the first thing that comes to mind. There's nothing to say that this thread is out of date and isn't related to Confluence Cloud as we know it today.

To avoid further confusion, I will close up comments on this thread. Our apologies for any undue frustration surrounding that.

tick If your question is regarding Teams in Atlassian Cloud, you can refer to @Fowler's answer on How to remove a former member from a team in Confluence.

Thank you all, and take care,

Shannon

0 votes
Answer accepted
waynewong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2014

Hi Amanda,

What do you mean that ?

Did you mean space watcher?

To manage the watchers of a page or blog post:

1. You must be the space admin
  2. Go to the page or blog post for which you want to manage the watchers.
  3. Choose Watch > Manage Watchers.
  4. The 'Manage Watchers' screen will appear. The left-hand column shows the users watching the page or blog post. The right-hand column shows the users watching the space.
    • To remove an existing page watcher, choose the icon (trash can) next to the user's name.
    • To add a user as a watcher of the page, type their username and choose Add

If you mean by adding group user, you must be Confluence Administrator, to do it.

To add members to a group:

1. Choose the cog icon , then choose General Configurationunder Confluence Administration.
  2. Choose Groups in the left-hand panel.
  3. The 'Groups' screen appears, showing a list of groups. Choose the group to which you want to add users.
  4. The 'Group Members' screen appears, showing the users who belong to the selected group. Choose Add Members.
  5. Type the username(s) of the people you want to add to the group.
    • If you want to add more than one member, separate the usernames with commas.
    • You can also search for and select users by choosing the search icon, as described in Searching for Users.
  6. Choose Add to add the member(s) to the group.

To remove members from a group:

1. Choose the cog icon, then choose General Configurationunder Confluence Administration.
  2. Choose Groupsin the left-hand panel.
  3. The 'Manage Groups' screen appears, showing a list of groups. Choose the group from which you want to remove the user.
  4. The 'Group Members' screen appears, showing the users who belong to the selected group. Choose the 'Delete user from group' icon next to the user whose group membership you want to remove.

Or if you mean by you want to revoke the group's permission

Updating global permissions

To view the global permissions for a group or user:

1. Choose the cog icon , then choose General Configuration under Confluence Administration.
  2. Choose Global Permissions in the left-hand panel. The 'View Global Permissions' screen appears.

Add or edit group and user permissions as follows:

To add permissions for a group:

1. First add the group to Confluence, if you have not already done so.
  2. Choose Edit Permissions. The 'Edit Global Permissions' screen appears.
  3. Enter the group name in the Grant browse permission to box in the 'Groups' section. You can search for the group name.
  4. Choose Add.
  5. The group will appear in the list and you can now edit its permissions.

To add permissions for a specific user:
(Consider adding the user to a group and then assigning the permissions to the group, as described above, instead of assigning permissions to the specific user.)

1. First add the user to Confluence, if you have not already done so.
  2. Choose Edit Permissions. The 'Edit Global Permissions' screen appears.
  3. Enter the username in the Grant browse permission to box in the 'Individual Users' section. You can search for the username.
  4. Choose Add.
  5. The username will appear in the list and you can now edit its permissions.

Hope these help

markus.simon2 May 22, 2019

Any chance you make that more complicated?

Like # people like this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 4, 2021

For ease of reference, I will link the pages my colleague Wayne was most likely referencing.

If you have a question regarding Atlassian Teams in Cloud, refer to my earlier answer.

If you have any questions regarding the original topic, please raise a new question. I am closing new replies on this thread because the case is now out-of-date.

Thank you for your understanding! 

Shannon

Like Angélica Luz likes this
3 votes
Shanta Nathwani November 15, 2019

I think that @Amanda Chu is asking specifically about "Teams", not "Groups". Two very different things. I find there is a lack of information about teams and their membership, editing, etc. I created a team, invited them and no one came. Now, the only thing apparently that I'm allowed to do is delete the team space. I created it and I have top administrator rights to Confluence. I want to edit the team members, or at least resend their invites. All the documentation talks about user management in confluence overall, not in teams themselves. Everything I've found on Teams thus far, talks about Portfolio. I don't think I have that and the interface looks VERY different.

Martine November 28, 2019

Hi Shanta,

I'm struggling with the same issue currently, I can't remove an invited team member from the Confluence team. Did you get any feedback yet?

Like # people like this
Shanta Nathwani November 28, 2019

Nothing as yet. 

Gerri Shane January 9, 2020

I'm also having problems.  I need to ADD a couple of team members and I really don't want to have to delete and re-create the space.  Help!

Alex Kantor January 17, 2020

I've got the same issue on Jira Cloud - i can't edit the overview page or add or remove team members from that page.

Gregory Johnson January 26, 2020

Chiming in here on this, this function seems to be incomplete.  But, with the latest Cloud version, I think you can manually change the Team's.  It's a bit weird tho, since it seems to be a centralized list somewhere that you only have access to at the time of the Space creation.

Tammy Orozco April 1, 2020

Gregory,

Can you elaborate how you did this?  I have several members I want to "uninvite" from the Teams pages, and same as everyone else, I am not able to delete the invitation. Anyone think it strange that they have to accept an invitation to be in Team in the first place??  Makes it challenging to use this feature. I am about to just delete them all and forget the whole thing.

Fowler March 3, 2021

I don't think anyone told the support team that Confluence has a "People and Teams" feature. That said, I believe I've found a solution and posted it here

Short answer:

• The teams feature does not respect admin permissions
  • You have to be a member of a team to add or remove members
  • This community support portal is a joke
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 4, 2021

Hello @Fowler,

I'm sad to hear that you've not had a good experience with our Community Support portal. We are always changing our products, so a question posed in 2014 might not have the same relevance today. We do our best to keep the information here relevant, but don't hesitate to report it to us!

At the time of this question, we hadn't yet released Atlassian Teams. I have clarified this in a separate answer if you want to have a look.

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention and for linking the correct answer. It will help a lot of people who have gotten stuck in this exact situation.

Take care,

Shannon.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events