How do I disable page and inline comments in a space, but enable inline comments on some pages?

sarah.rev March 18, 2021

Is there a way to disable page and inline comments globally within a space, but enable inline comments on one of the pages and any child page under that parent page?

We've created a space that acts more like a knowledge base than a wiki, so we've disabled page and inline comments globally. However, we would like to enable comments on pages that are being drafted. These pages are being drafted under a parent page within the space. For collaboration, we would like to re-enable inline comments on these pages. Is there a way to do that?

2 answers

4 votes
Sven Schatter _Lively Apps_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 19, 2021

Hi @sarah.rev,

You could achieve this by using our app HideElements for Confluence. In the HideElements space settings you could hide the comments section and the inline comments menu for all pages in your space. (Apply the "red eye" to these elements to hide them and make sure that the "lock" is set to open so it can be overwritten on a page level)

And then on pages where you want to enable them again, you insert the HideElements macro, and apply the "green eye" to these elements to make them visible again only on that page. This is what the HideElements menu looks like:

hideelements.jpeg

Hope this helps! If you have any questions, let me know. :)

Cheers,
Sven

0 votes
Irina_Bel_Stiltsoft_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 2, 2022

Hi @sarah.rev ,

When you disable Comments permissions over the space, you disable both inline comments and page comments functionality. This is only possible to implement with the help of the 3rd-party apps. Sven advided you to try their app as a workaround, I would like to advise Talk - Advanced Inline Comments as a way to do this.

The Talk comments work with Pages or Comments permissions. Thus, when you enable only Page permissions (Comments permissions are off) over the space and restrict page editing on specific pages for the same users or groups, these users will see neither inline comments nor page comments. In this case, a user can only add inline comments on other pages where users have edit permissions.  

I think it's relevant to mention here that the Talk Restrictions feature also allows restricting visibility for specific inline comments on a page for certain users and/or groups.

Talk permissions.png

To wrap up: Page permissions on a space level + allowing editing on relevant pages.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events