Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a page with same title listed under separate File List

SSHASTRY May 10, 2023

As we see, under a Confluence Space directory, we can not create a page with a same title on the different file hierarchy level. There is a requirement where we need to allow the same page name in the file list heirarchy. How can we achieve this?

For now we are using the prefix of the folder name for the page and it can not be used for documentation in future. 

Thanks,

Suhas

1 answer

3 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2023

Hi @SSHASTRY ,

unfortunately you can't create two pages with the same title within a Confluence Space and there are no workaround for that.

Fabio

SSHASTRY May 11, 2023

Any other suggestions or plans in future when it can be implemented? I think this is a basic ask and widely used application as it has integrations with Jira as well.

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2023

hey @SSHASTRY , I don't think that this constraint will be removed in the future. Btw, a naming convention is the right way. Also on user side having two pages with the same name could be confusing.

Like Matt likes this
SSHASTRY May 11, 2023

If it is listed as a file list, I assume there should be an option to let users to create the page with the same title as it is an hierarchical representation. 

I am sure in a Space, all the folders or pages are same as a page representation.

Matt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2023

Confluence doesn't have a real concept of "folders". What you're referring to as folders is just hierarchal organization of pages. 

If you navigate through pages within a space, nested or not, you'll notice that the hierarchy is not represented in the URL. This is because even though they are organized in a folder, or nested way, it's all a flat structure.

This is why two pages cannot have the same title, it's really just a flat namespace with the ability to "nest" pages.

Nesting is mainly good for space organization and using page restrictions.

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events