Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a new permissions Group for my Space?

Graham Scott January 5, 2018

I've set up a new Space to hold a bunch of documentation our team needs. For some docs, only a subset of the team should have write/edit access. I'd like to create a Group so I can manage those permissions in one place. But I can’t, and I don’t know why.

Under Space Tools > Permissions, I click "Edit Permissions":

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 11.45.27 AM.png

I then click "Add," because I'm creating a new group; there's no point searching for something that doesn’t exist. But that throws an error:

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 11.39.48 AM.pngOK, so I guess I have to type in the new group name I want? Nope:

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 11.40.10 AM.pngI'm an administrator for the Space; I created the space. But I can’t make new user groups for it? I don't understand what the problem is.

Any help appreciated!

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2018

Hi there,

Before you apply the group to your Space, you need to create it. Since groups are site-wide, then you will want to go to General Configuration > Groups to create one.

Have a look at Confluence Groups for Administrators.

To add a new group:

1. Choose the cog icon , then choose General Configuration under Confluence Administration
  2. Choose Groups in the left-hand panel
  3. Choose Add Group
  4. Enter a name for your group and choose Save

You're now ready to start adding users to the group.

Once you've created the group and added users to it, then you can apply it to your Space as you were trying before.

Let me know if you have any further trouble.

Regards,

Shannon

Graham Scott January 8, 2018

@Shannon SThanks! However, I'm afraid I don’t see a cog icon anywhere. Has there been a layout change? Is it possible I don't have the necessary permissions?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2018

Hi Graham,

You will need to be a Confluence Administrator in order to create new groups (and also users).

If you do not have this you can ask one of the admins to create the group for you and let them know the list of users who need to be in the group.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events