Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a new blog post directly without first creating a blank page?

Paul LeBeau October 14, 2020

Since a recent update, clicking the Create button no longer brings up a dialog box asking what type of page you want to create. Instead, it opens a new page window and shows Blog Post as the top item in a navigation panel on the right side of the screen.

Clicking Blog Post does, in fact, open a new blog post page. No problem with that at all. In addition, though, I end up with a blank page draft that I then have to delete. What I am doing wrong?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Paul LeBeau December 21, 2020

Answered my own question, and it's 100% counter-intuitive:

1) In Confluence, from the Spaces menu choose the space in which your blog post is to go.

2) From the Recent menu, Choose Draft.

3) If you have NO pages in the list, you are given the option to "Add new page" which does bring up the popup dialog that lets you choose the type of page you want. Choose Blog Post.

4) If you have ANY pages in the Draft list, you can't access that popup dialog, so just click "Create", choose Blog Post from that screen, then delete the unpublished regular page it created at the same time.

Atlassian, for those of us who are heavy users of the Blog section, this is really annoying.

Flídr Marcel January 3, 2021

Usually, I have one or more drafts existing, so this is not a solution for me :-( However, thank you for investigating this possibility.

Like # people like this
Elena Williams January 8, 2021

Particularly frustrating as when you make a new blog post in the "recommended" way, it leaves a blank (unused, by-definition-unwanted) page in your drafts without telling you, just proliferating cruft in your drafts. I really wonder about the QA at confluence, they definitely don't love UX over there.

0 votes
Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2020

There should be a create button and a ... button right next to it. The ... button contains template options. You can create a blog post from there. However, blog posts can't use other templates (one day I hope).

Paul LeBeau October 15, 2020

There isn't, at least not for me. This is what I see:

Top Nav Bar.PNGIf I click "Create" it just creates a new page in the space. I can choose Blog Post from the menu on the right of the screen, which does create the blog post page. It leaves the original empty page in draft, which I then have to delete with "Delete Unpublished Page".

Like Elena Williams likes this
Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2020

Which version of Confluence are you on?

Paul LeBeau October 15, 2020

I believe it's the most current web version. The "About Confluence" choice under "Help" returns this: Confluence 1000.0.0-d8f9cb1bfc86.

Flídr Marcel November 4, 2020

Same behavior on my side. Every time I create a new blog post on our Confluence Cloud, I end up with a new blank page draft.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events