It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I change the publish date for a blog post at creation?

I keep reading post about changing the publish date at creation of a blog post but I am not able to find the option when I am creating a blog post.

Any information on this would be helpful.

6 answers

It is RIDICULOUS that Atlassian hasn't bothered to fix this BUG after years of being aware of it.

There is however, a work around (at least for the version of Confluence that I am using - 6.0.something - I think)

If you have a blog post with the wrong date, start a new blog post, and on creation choose the date that you want - then copy and paste the text from the old (incorrectly dated) blog post into the new blog post. Then delete the old blog post.

That's really ridiculous.

can you tell me more? because, i can't find the way to change the date in new blog post.

@Ben Travaglione I can't find it either. I'm trying to compose a *new* post and can't find the date options.

I am using Confluence 6.9.1, and in that version, when you choose a new blog post, in the bottom left of the browser window in edit mode it has an editable box labelled "Posting Date".

Like Uriel Sandoval likes this

@Ben thanks! are you using Confluence server, or Cloud? I'm using Cloud and I'm wondering if that's why I'm not seeing it...

Yes, I am using a Confluence Server, and have not used the Cloud. I guess that is the difference. Sorry I can't provide any more help.

No worries, thanks for helping me suss it out @Ben! :)

Please add the feature to change the date on a blog post.

It is not allowed, because it may affect a lot of core functions, like Page History, search results, etc.

Where's the difference to a normal page?

And why does page history matters when I cannot change the content of the blog entry?

Like Adam_Leadoux likes this
As of 2019 I'm completely unable to affect a date for a blog post on confluence cloud.

Having a blog without an ability to change the date of the posts is ridiculous. Not to mention that it was there and was removed at some point :(

0 votes

So, explain why you want to lie about posting dates?

We live in a world where there's far too many people lying about what they do and say.  Please could someone explain why lying about publication information is useful?

Lie? 

For instance, I'd like to move my old content to confluence while preserving history dates (e.g, over a hundred release dates since 2007). 

It has nothing to do with created/updated timestamp, but it must be possible to control the post history calendar and yyyy/mm/dd urls.

P.S.: We are developers, not bloggers. 

Like # people like this

When migrating posts from other systems to Confluence you want to keep the original timestamps.

Like # people like this

Exactly!!

I created a bunch of posts that I wanted to be timestamped blog posts.

But I forgot to create them AS blog posts. Now I want to move them into my blog but there doesn't seem any way to do that.

Like # people like this

Usually I prepare my blog post days before posting it (some needs technical review before publish, other needs hierarchical validation,...). But the post date is initialized the day you create the page not the day you publish it. Sometimes I forget to update the date when I "Publish" it and I then have a wrong publication date which can be months before the real publish.

In that case it would be great to be able to change the publication date to let the page appear under the right month in the blog pages tree.

Like # people like this

Nic, are you really a true user of Confluence blogs??

It is not about lying, just use cases.

I'm exploring the opportunity to use the blog as changelog for my project. We have dates and content attached to them. And we can categorize posts with labels so that it is easy to filter them. (As workaround for having a single blog for the entire space).

Given that, I need to move already documented changelog into blog posts. I simply want to change the "container" for my entries, not lying on dates.

And of course I need to create a post ahead time of publishing. I think we need to be able to modify dates later, past creation and publishing.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

What project did you transition or start on Confluence with the shift to remote work?

It’s been great to hear from fellow users over the last few weeks about the best tips and fun moments you’ve had working on Confluence since the transition to working remote. I’d love to keep the c...

109 views 3 7
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you