Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change a space key?

NM May 30, 2017

Is there a hack to change the space key? I know that it is fixed but what if we want to change it after creation without having to copy/delete spaces?

5 answers

7 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 31, 2017
4 votes
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2017

There is no way I know of to change a space key. The name can be changed, but the key stays fixed troughout the life of the space. You are correct that the only way to "change" the space key would be to copy the space to a new space with the desired key.

2 votes
Martin Müller-Lindenlauf October 31, 2019

I used a workaround: created a new empty space with the desired key, then moved all pages from the old space to the new one. If there are many pages just below the main page, it may be helpfull to make them a child of just one (maybe empty) page within the old space first (which is possible by drag and drop) and then move this page to the new space.

Dorte Jacobsen February 4, 2020

How did you then manage links? In your new space, do all links not go to the old space still?

Like # people like this
Martin Müller-Lindenlauf March 24, 2020

If you work with confluence links they should adapt automatically. Not exolicitly testet now, but I do not remember any problems and I often use links.

Rainee Rohrbacher April 8, 2020

This will also affect anyone who has pages bookmarked or linked outside of confluence to anything. The new URL with the updated space key has to be used. The space key is in every page URL. 

Moritz W August 5, 2020

@Rainee Rohrbacherthe problem can be solved by using the share function on Confluence pages. This will generate a shortened link that doesn't care if the space or page name changes.

2 votes
calvin_dike May 16, 2019

You can use this to change the space key.

Copy the space with this plugin. While copying the space you'll be prompted to type in the name of the space and space key. After changing those, export the space you copied with the new space key and import it to the confluence instance you want.

Download the Copy Space for Confluence plugin and install it

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/212/copy-space-for-confluence?hosting=server&tab=overview

For manual installation;

Administration > Global configuration > Manage add-ons > Upload add-on > browse (select the jar file you downloaded) > Upload

To use plugin;

Spaces > Space directory > click on the space you want > Space tools > Content Tools > Apps > type in new space name and key (you can check the boxes to copy the options specified) > Save

Your Space Directory should have your copied  space with the new name and space key. Now you can delete the space with the old name.

You're welcome.

Maria Murphy August 5, 2021

This is no longer supported.

Wolfgang Kaml October 21, 2022

Unclear whether for Cloud or OnPrem, though with Confluence 7.x and later no longer being supported, maybe this was an OnPrem tool to begin with.

0 votes
Ashish Wani May 22, 2019

You can not change the space key once it is set while creating a space.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events