It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I make inactive users searchable in Confluence Edited

I would like to find pages in Confluence that our termed/inactive users created or contributed to.  I can see the users on our user management page but I can't specifically search for them using the contributor or creator search in Confluence.  

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 2.52.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-02 at 2.47.26 PM.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

@Erica Larson , I was looking for a way to find pages where a specific inactive user was mentioned, and found that I can paste this URL into the address bar (insert your site URL and the username of the inactive user). Hope it works for you too!

https://YOURURL/confluence/dosearchsite.action?cql=mention+%3D+%22INACTIVEUSERNAME%22

erica_larson Community Leader Jan 06, 2020

@Susan Ostreicher - Thank you.  This solution worked great.  I switched out "mention" with "contributor" or "creator" and I was able to find what I was looking for. 

Like Susan Ostreicher likes this
0 votes
Thomas_Deiler Community Leader Feb 02, 2018

Dear @Erica Larson,

this is a classic mass data job to be done over the API.

Get all pages with history of one space:

http://example.com/rest/api/content?spaceKey=TST&expand=history

Then you extract from each returned page information the creator (username) of it, and request its status:

http://example.com/rest/api/user?username=username

The result JSON should tell you, if the user is inactive. If you get a HTTP code 404, the user doesn't exist any more. So you know which pages are without creators.

So long

Thomas

Thomas_Deiler Community Leader Feb 06, 2018

Dear @Erica Larson,

have you figured out my solution? Do you need more assistance?

So long

Thomas

Hi Thomas.  

Thanks for your suggestion but I am not sure that is what I am looking for.  I may have worded my question wrong.  I want my inactive users to be searchable within in Confluence.  I don't need to find all pages created by inactive users.  I want my users to be able to find specific pages that were created or contributed to by inactive users.  

Erica

Thomas_Deiler Community Leader Feb 06, 2018

@Erica Larson,

got you. But as soon as a user is inactive, you cannot search for them - they are "out". And the history of a page will not be searched. The search focuses on the present not the past.

So long

Thomas

I'm not sure what this concept means, that of a search for documentation not concerning itself with the "past"  Certainly, documentation is all about retaining history and knowledge developed in the "past."  And clearly documentation of inactive users is *more* valuable, since they are no longer there to ask.  Weird idea, that only the current moment matters when looking for clues on how things have been done...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

How is your team having fun and bonding, remotely, utilizing Confluence?

Thanks everyone for answering last week’s question. The winner of the random drawing from those who commented is: @LarryBrock I’ll contact you separately with your prize details. This wee...

327 views 9 7
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you