It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I make a multiple level bulleted list in Confluence?

I'm trying to use a multiple level bulleted list, but I cannot find the way to do this.

In older Confluence versions you could use this wiki syntax

* First bullet level
** Second bullet level

which rendered a bullet for the first level and a different bullet icon also indented for the second level.

In recent confluence versions, if you type that syntax, you get this;

• First bullet level

** Second bullet level

The same problem happens with older mixed levels, like ## or #*, etc.

I can't believe that this feature is not available any longer in Confluence editor. Is it really?

4 answers

Click 'Tab' next to the bullet you want to indent and it will go in one level. 

Nope, it works with more than 1 level. Just tested.

Agreed I realized this the other day - I edited my note.  Thanks!

Like Sebastian Vaisov likes this

Thanks for your tip also, I wouldn't find that it's as simple as Tab :)

Just checked - this is now working using tab, which is great. 

Of no consolation to the six months of single-indent documentation I've generated though! =)

At least in my 6.15.9, I cannot indent the first item in a list.

I would often like

* Main point
        * Secondary Point 1
                [Picture here]
        * Secondary Point 2

but apparently I can't indent "Secondary Point 2" (i.e. it ignores tabs and the indent button), so I get 

* Main point
        * Secondary Point 1
                [Picture here]
* Secondary Point 2

As explained in https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/confluence-wiki-markup-251003035.html#ConfluenceWikiMarkup-Lists
I confirm that subsequent levels in lists doesn't work anymore...

Indent button is just a visual workaround but doesn't fix the issue.. Any other way to force a subsequent level ?

(I use Confluence 5.9.2)

1 vote
Thomas_Schlegel Community Leader Feb 15, 2016

Hi Miguel,

use the indent button on the editor header.

Thomas

Dear Thomas,

indenting a bullet doesn't change its style as it worked in previous versions or numbered lists where it changes from 1,2,3 to a,b,c and so on. It just indents it.

Thanks

Like Manojna Kalapala likes this

Why there is no help on this topic from Atlasssian moderators.? This is most searched topic yet no help.

Like # people like this

For me - bullets and numbered lists will not indent at all. They are tied to the first indention and do not respond to the indent button, or align properly with other indented text, making them rather limited.

•  Funny
    • It
      • Works
        • In this
          • Comment
            • Section
Like # people like this

Yes, I am also facing the same issue. While documenting a 3rd or 4th sub level content, only the content indentation works. If I add a bulleted style, lo behold! It gets dragged to the left again.

Like Barry St.John likes this

I found I could add a symbol.  There is one that resembles the top level bullet, but it's slightly smaller.  Making it bold helps some.  The symbol can survive the indent.  Not ideal but it's better than nothing.

Same problem, there is no way to achieve the nested bullet list in confluence cloud. Before I could do it with markup or using tabs, but none of this work in new version of confluence. Will it ever be added?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

How is your team having fun and bonding, remotely, utilizing Confluence?

Thanks everyone for answering last week’s question. The winner of the random drawing from those who commented is: @LarryBrock I’ll contact you separately with your prize details. This wee...

327 views 9 7
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you