Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I integrate external HTML pages in Confluence?

Tobias Rapp December 10, 2013

I have some HTML pages generated by a tool from source code that describe APIs for in-house usage. It would be great if I could integrate these HTML pages into Confluence so that users that are logged in to Confluence can see the pages and non-authenticated users cannot.

How can I integrate these external pages? Is it possible with plugins?

Background:

My team tries to replace our current MediaWiki instance with Confluence. In MediaWiki we used a simple Special-Pages plugin to integrate external pages.

The external HTML pages that I try to include are generated by NaturalDocs. See http://www.naturaldocs.org/documentation/html/for an example of how the HTML output is structured (relative links, stylesheets, javascript).

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2013
0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2013

You can use the HTML Include macro for this. You will need to also configure your whitelist (Confluence Admin->Configuration->Configure Whitelist) to allow you to pull in content from the other site.

Tobias Rapp December 11, 2013

I have tested both the "HTML Include" Macro that comes with Confluence and the "HTML Include Replace" plugin from the marketplace.

The built-in macro has the problem that relative links are not handled properly (see CONF-6567) and the third-party plugin requires the user to already have access to the external HTML pages. But this is why I wanted to integrate the pages in the first place (a catch-22).

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2013

If your tool generated HTML content is not protected, just obscurely served, then would including the content from Confluence, and making the space/page not visible to people who aren't logged in address the visibility?

Tobias Rapp December 11, 2013

What do you mean with "obscurely served"? Just not mentioning the URL outside of the protected Confluence pages? That would be a bit too weak, I guess.

My current thinking is about writing an Apache auth module for the external HTML pages which connects to the Confluence SQL database backend directly.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events