Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I insert an image that is attached to another page?

Gene Thurston January 13, 2014

A nice technique that I used to use in the "old" confluence wiki was to create a single page called "Useful Images". I would attach all kinds of useful little icons, etc. to that page, and use the "gallary" macro to show them. But, the real use of this page was to accumulate in one place the imagery that I used over and over again on other pages. Why force me (as seems to be the case with your new WYSIWYG editor -- not a fan, btw) to have these common, useful images attached to each page I want to use them on?

I know I can accomplish this by typing wiki markup directly, but then ... if I need to edit that afterwards, I am stuck. Seems to me you could have an option in your "insert image" tool that allows me to select the page to use for attached images. What do you think? Anything I'm missing?

Gene Thurston

1 answer

1 vote
jing_hwa_cheok
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2014

Hi Gene,

In the new editor, you can still display an image attached in a different space or page. When you edit a page, choose insert >> image then select the search. From there you can search the image and display from a same or a different space.

You may find this documentation useful "Displaying Images".

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Jing Hwa

Gene Thurston January 21, 2014

Well, I see that this is supposed to work. I can choose to search for my image file in "All Spaces" or in the current space. Good! Except for two things ...

1. Not clear whether or not I can use some sort of regular expression in the Search box. If so, where is that documented?
  2. Even if I type in the exact file name (e.g., blue_arrow.gif), it is not found. Is this simply a bug? If so, is it on the radar to be fixed?

Lastly, I did try the copy image from one page and paste into the editor on another. This does seem to work, although ... honestly ... I can't tell for sure since I cannot see the wiki markup any more. (VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THIS, BTW.) But, even this, has one draw back ... if I simply use the {gallary} macro to show all the images attached to my "Useful Images" page, I cannot copy/paste from the displayed imagery. I would have to "Add" each image file to the page so it is diaplayed by that mechanism ... which, of course, is not an attractive solution. It sure would be nice if you could copy/paste from the {gallary} display.

I look forward to hearing your comments on this ...

Thanks for taking the time. I really do appreciate that.

- Gene -

P.S. Bring back my wiki markup ... :-(

Arya Banerjee April 3, 2015

Hi Jung, Could you please let me know a technique to check from the database tables if we can locate the image links for page content which refer to other space than the space from which it is getting referred? If we can get the page ids which have such image links pointing to other spaces it would be handy for us.

Normand_Carbonneau May 1, 2020

Well, looks like the option proposed by Jing Hwa does not exist in the new editor...

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events