Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I delete personal spaces of employees who are no longer with us?

Cate Galeza September 1, 2016

I've deactivated a lot of users but their personal space still shows up. Do I need to delete them first in order to get rid of their personal space or are they two different things? 

Thanks!

3 answers

2 votes
Peter Geshev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2016

Hi Cate,

I am afraid that you will have to delete the spaces manually. Users who have created content cannot be deleted, they should be disabled, but the content they have generated will not be deleted.

All the best,

Peter

1 vote
Lorenzo Bueno
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 2, 2016

Hello Cate,
Peter is correct, and the first thing you should do in order to delete the space is to check the permissions for it, in case you have it, you can delete it.
Follow this doc for it: Deleting a space or Spaces.
I hope this helps!

0 votes
Seonghoon.Kim January 26, 2018

In my case, I have first removed a user. Then, I tried to delete it as explained above. But I cannot delete it because of disappearance of the delete tab.fullsizeoutput_2.jpeg

Tim Williams November 2, 2018

I encountered the same dead end.  I settled for archiving the space, which removes it from the space directory.  Seems odd that personal spaces can't be deleted because the documentation saying members of confluence-administrators can do this.

Tim Williams November 7, 2018

I found a way to delete the spaces.  When you are in the personal space details and can NOT see the delete option, click the "Overview" tab and magically the option to delete appears.  Very strange. 

Like Evanna McMahon likes this
Evanna McMahon May 2, 2019

Thanks Tim, that worked for me

Like Tim Williams likes this
Anonymous September 12, 2019

If you have issues with seeing the "deletion" tab below overview for a user space, you can move to an another space (not a user space) and click there on the deletion tab. Then you can adjust the link in the browser at the end wit replacing the key parameter at the end. You also can use this link and adjust it to your own confluence instance:

https://confluence.domain.ltd/authenticate.action?destination=/spaces/removespace.action?key=

The user space key starts with a ~, you can see it in the space overview.

This was the only way I was able to delete a user space. The workaround provided by @Tim Williams seems not to work for me.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events