It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I continue a numbered list that broke?

I have tried the following codes:
%item value=3% - this should start the list with 3.
%item value=resume% - to tell the engine to pick up where it left off

Example:

# Step 1 text here
# Step 2 text here

# %item value=resume% this should be step 3
# this should be step 4

Can this be done in Confluence and how?

4 answers

Still not fixed. Very annoying. Poor User Experience. This is a very basic feature. I struggle with this all the time.

Hi Sanet,

If I understand what you are doing correctly, if you use Shift+Enter to create your line breaks, (rather than just Enter), then your numbered list shouldn't be broken even though the required line break is still in place. Please check and let me know whether this works for you, or whether I have misunderstood what you are trying to do.

All the best,
John

Thank you John.
The example above might not be the best :-). We have different scenarios where the numbering sequence do get broken, for example, when we use an excerpt or an include and the numebring must follow logically. In those cases, I need to continue the numbering with a number of my choice.

Hi, I'm trying to do a similar thing. I want to continue the number of my steps after the previous content has been put inside a "section" and "column" macro. how can I do this?

Yes, we still need a solution, I have not received an answer for this yet. If we could use HTML then we could use <ol start="3"> to force the list to work from step 3 onwards, but you cannot do this in Confluence.

Five (5) years later and we still need a solution!!!

Still no one has fixed such a simple problem!

Like 1 person likes this

Worse yet, I have access to the HTML controls and can edit my page in HTML... but it doesn't seem to honor the <ol> start attribute.

I tried several times, and it even flagged me as invalid when I tried to save my start value without quotes. When I use "<ol start="4"> it seems to like it fine and I can save... but it doesn't change the broken list, it still starts numbering at 1, and when I go BACK into the code, the start attribute has been removed. 

So it appears that the editor recognizes it and will flag it if it is malformed and not let you save, but if you enter it correctly, the edit will get ignored, removed from your code, and will not take effect.

Anyone else have this experience?

Make that 6 years without a solution.

Like 5 people like this

STILL NOT FIXED!

Atlassian doesn't care about its users. The solution is to find a better tool with a better company.

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Confluence

Confluence CVEs and common questions

Two vulnerabilities have been published for Confluence Server and Data Center recently: March 20, 2019 CVE-2019-3395 / CVE-2019-3396 April 17, 2019 CVE-2019-3398 The goal of this article is...

176 views 0 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you