Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hashtag in Confluence

Elena Demkiv April 28, 2018
Hello! Using hashtag in Confidence, it is possible?

3 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Dalia Vazquez September 2, 2020

I absolutely need that hashtag. I need the ability to add hashtags for all the references to products or features throughout the documents and have a single widget on a page retrieving all the mentions of the hashtag so I can easily track the information about the product or feature. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2020

That is exactly the functionality that labels provide.

Lior Ella October 18, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- you're wrong - labels are for the entire page. What @Dalia Vazquez and @Zlatin Zlatev wanted is to be able to put hashtags *in specific places in the text* and then look for them.

Labels: page resolution

hashtags: text resolution

I also want to have hashtags - this is very useful and similar to "tags" on onenote

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2020

No, that's not what hashtags are.  If you want to put markers in text in the body, then use anchors.

There is no "search for hashtags" in a page.  Labels on a page help people find the page when they are searching, the content of a page is searchable with ctrl-f in most browsers, and all the content is indexed for the page search automatically, so an inline "hashtag" would be of zero use anyway.

Rudy Dullier October 18, 2020

That is a fantastic idea for new feature Nic, thanks!

What about hashtags, that of course you can click within text and list related pages.

Once opening a related page, the sentence/paragraph where the hashtag is used should be highlighted to ease context sensitive browsing.

Why not inclure these excerpt in the resulting pages list?

Of course, the hashtags should be included using the # sign and not a fancy macro menu that would destroy the UX.

Bonus: Ability to auto-add the hashtags as labels when used in the page body.

Like # people like this
Lior Ella October 19, 2020

right @Rudy Dullier - that's exactly what I had in mind. Seems like a very useful feature

Like Zlatin Zlatev likes this
0 votes
Julia Alcaz November 8, 2021

Question:

Good day everyone, please let me know if the functionality hashtag has been added to confluence. Several groups have raised their interest to have this functionality in previous years.

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 8, 2021

No, there's been no change.  Labels continue to provide the functionality.

Rudy Dullier November 8, 2021

So, shall it be possible to define Labels during the page write-up and not afterward?

Is that a better feature request?

Zlatin Zlatev November 9, 2021

I honestly do not see what it would help to "define labels during the page write-up" for the use case I have shared about 2 years ago. Namely I need to "label comments" so that they are easier to find (and a confluence article may have tons of comments, this is why I need this). Manually putting a link to the comments of interest in a separate confluence page feels like going back to sticky notes and paper notebooks.

I start to believe that Atlassian actually does not care for user experience, because of this question and this jira https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ID-240

Like abdelkrim likes this
Tom Biermann November 25, 2021

I just want to emphasize, that Labels do not provide the requested functionality at all, despite Nic claiming multiple times, that they do. 

The goal is to tag (multiple) comments or sections of pages and get a list of all relevant pages for that tag. 

I don't have a problem with Atlassian saying: we can't implement that, but please don't claim that labels do what they don't Nic.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 25, 2021

I think you need to re-read your requirement here:

"The goal is to tag pages, and get a list of all relevant pages for that tag"

That is what labels do. 

The other part of the requirement is "multiple comments or sections" - why?  If a page has the same label six times, it'll still turn up in the searches as a single page with that label.

What other functionality are you looking for here?  

0 votes
Sana Safai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2018

Hi Elena,

Try using labels for the pages, that's the closest to hashtags we have in Confluence.

Elena Demkiv May 3, 2018

Yes, we know about it. 

But hashtags can be more useful, because we can find information in all space, and do it in a text.

Maybe we can use plugins for it? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2018

I think you've missed the point of Sana's answer.  Labels in Confluence do pretty much what hashtags do in other software.

Rudy Dullier October 10, 2018

I second the request. See https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-29689

I've commented on main issue for my current use case. It anyway became a de facto standard.

Zlatin Zlatev January 22, 2020

Actually I now am in a position, where I want to put a hashtag on a comment to a Confluence page so that I can find this comment easier later (we are discussing some potential future roadmap feature added to the functionality described in the confluence page).

Putting a label on the page itself won't solve my need.

Like David Moreau likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2020

Labels on a page is the closest you can get. 

Or use the "link to this comment" to put a url that jumps to the comment in whatever tool you use for bookmarks or looking for things.

Zlatin Zlatev January 22, 2020

Yes, I know I can create a confluence page and add links to comments there. It would have been much more intuitive, if I could just use hashtag and that page with list of links to comments is automatically generated for me.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 2, 2020

And labels do exactly that.

Zlatin Zlatev October 19, 2020

Can I put label on comment then?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events