Grant unlicensed users access to a confluence page

dorothea.schwarz August 25, 2020

Hi!

One of our departments would like to grant some users read-only access to a certain confluence space.

Reading this about unliscensed access on the "global permissions" page,
screenshot-global-permissions-unlicensed-access.jpg

I would like to achieve these users being able to see this space without giving them more than "site access" (means NO proper confluence license).

Or what is a "active user, including thos who don't have a Confluence license"?

Is this possible without opening the page up to "anonymous access" or making the space public (via Jira Service Desk)?

What exactly are the needed settings on the space to achieve this?

Thanks for some help with this!
Dorothea

2 answers

2 votes
Malin November 22, 2020

I've seen this discussion on multiple threads, is there not a feature request we can vote for, to allow non-licensed users access Confluence Space? I want to limit access to a group, not enable anonymous access... 

maria lidia campo February 12, 2021

Same need here! just to undesrtand how “Unlicensed Access” works isolated! without opening Confluence to the world

Thanks!

Like # people like this
0 votes
Amanda Kirk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2020

Go to your space settings>Permissions.

There will be a section at the bottom for Anonymous permissions.

If your Confluence site is public, you can grant permissions to people who are not logged in. Anonymous users can be granted almost any permission, but we recommend you limit this to viewing and commenting.

Confluence offers "anonymous access" which means the site visitor does not log in and thus does not need to be licensed which most frequently is associated with 'read-only' access. The great news is, in Confluence it is up to you the level of permissions you set up for these users we call "anonymous" (docs will also refer to as "public" access).  For example, you can grant your anonymous users to read-only permissions or you can choose to assign additional permission to them including commenting on, editing, or deleting content.  With anonymous users, however, you lose the ability to see who commented or edited something since the user is anonymous (without login) and thus not recognizable in the system from another anonymous user on the site.

Obviously if your site is not public, a user will need a license to get to the space.

dorothea.schwarz September 2, 2020

Hello Amanda,

thanks for your answer. 

This is not helpful for me, as I am not trying to grant read-only access to my Confluence page for anonymous users, but for user that have "site-access" (registered users without a confluence license).

As I read the info on the global permissions page that I shared as a screenshot above, this should be possible.

Thanks for more info.

Cheers

Dorothea

Like Brent Nye likes this
Eddy Fras September 25, 2020

Unfortunately, in my understanding, this is not possible.

Already discussed here : https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/How-to-give-space-access-to-unlicensed-users/qaq-p/1023522

Either you activate anonymous access on Confluence and only not logged in users can view spaces with anonymous permissions (but logged in users without license can't view these spaces !), or, if anonymous access is not enabled, only spaces declared as KB for JSD projects can be viewed by unlicensed users.

This limitation is hard to admit !

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events