It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to give space access to unlicensed users

In the global permission of our Confluence - I can read that about :

Unlicensed Access

Allow any active user, including those who don't have a Confluence license, to view spaces (for example, users from Jira Service Desk). You can choose which spaces unlicensed users can view. If you disable this permission, it can only be enabled again through Jira Service Desk

Question:

And so I would like to give access to our active Jiras users (not service desk users) a unlicenced access in a view mode only to some of our confluence space.

How can I do that ?

Should I make the space public (anonymous) and so anyone can have access to it ? Or can I restrict it only to our Active Jira users ?

Thanks for your help

2 answers

2 votes
Bill_Bailey Community Leader Mar 04, 2019

The easiest way is to enable anonymous access, set to view only. My understanding is that any other group restriction would require a user account. Maybe you could have a single account for all Jira users set to view only? Or place your instance behind a reverse proxy that requires authentication if you want to be more restrictive.

We have enabled anonymous access and anonymous space view permissions, but unlicensed logged in users (we link to LDAP) are unable to view the pages.

I am having this same issue. Logged in users that don't have a Confluence license are unable to view spaces other than the one linked to Jira. Have you found a solution for this?

There are three ways to get to see a page in Confluence (to keep it simple, ignoring page restrictions)

1. You are logged in as a Confluence user, and you have "use" permission in a space
  2. You are logged into a Jira service desk as a customer, and that desk is linked to a knowledge base space
  3. You are not logged in at all, global permission is granted for anonymous access, and the space has anonymous access enabled too. 

I suspect it's the third one - that's not about licences, the person must not be logged in at all - if they're a customer or logged into Jira with SSO and a shared account (even one without a licence), Confluence knows who they are, and they are hence not anonymous.  (This one is hideously confusing, and in my opinion, wrong)

Like # people like this

I agree @Nic_Brough__Adaptavist_. The difficulty I have is that the wording suggests that multiple spaces can be accessed by unlicensed users (scenario 2 in your message above). In Confluence Administration > Global Permissions, it says 

Unlicensed Access

Allow any active user, including those who don't have a Confluence license, to view spaces (for example, users from Jira Service Desk). You can choose which spaces unlicensed users can view. If you disable this permission, it can only be enabled again through Jira Service Desk.

That wording tells me that it is possible, though I don't know, to choose multiple spaces. I just cannot find any documentation or information to support this.

It's quite weird that anonymous users can see more than login users unlicensed. Actually anonymous users are unlicensed too. A bank security guy won't stop a masked man go into the vault. As a result I have to asked my employees put mask on their faces.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

How is your team having fun and bonding, remotely, utilizing Confluence?

Thanks everyone for answering last week’s question. The winner of the random drawing from those who commented is: @LarryBrock I’ll contact you separately with your prize details. This wee...

283 views 9 7
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you