Google drive integration and search behaviour

Samantha Sergeant November 18, 2019

When embedding a Google Drive file to a confluence page, will the contents of that file become searchable within confluence? My initial testing seems to say no but I may need to leave it longer to index the contents?

If it doesn't is there any other way to achieve this other than ignoring the embed function and instead copying the contents of that file to the page? 

1 answer

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2019

Hello there, @Samantha Sergeant. Glad to receive a newcomer. You will love it here!

As I understand, we need to check if Google Drive files are available for search within Confluence after you include the Google Drive macro in your pages.

If we are talking about the Atlassian issued plugin for Google Drive files, I can tell you that no, they will not come up in our searches. I have a Confluence Cloud site and tried to search Google Drive files that are displayed within pages and they do not show up in the results.

The files are not actually attached to the instance. Since the files are not really inside Confluence, it is just a “window” that shows what is inside your Google Drive.

The plugin I am referencing is this one:

I can not speak for the other plugins, which are these:

Let me know which of these plugins you are actually using, Samantha! Looking forward to your reply.

Samantha Sergeant November 22, 2019

Hi Diego,

Thanks for the reply. I'm using the official Atlassian plug in. I don't have admin rights to install any others to my workspace but could request it of my IT team if we knew one of the others would work. 

Thanks,

Sam 

Deleted user January 17, 2020

I'm interested to know if there is a way to accomplish this as well.

Like guillaume likes this
guillaume July 20, 2022

Same, this is an important feature as half of the company is now using Google Drive and information is often lost there.

Vinu S Renish December 15, 2022

Did anyone find a solution for this?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events