Getting "You are not permitted to perform this operation." for every user account

Objectivity
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 3, 2011

For everyone that tries to log into our Confluence system, they are getting You are not permitted to perform this operation. message...even the local admin account. We are using LDAP authentication, but local account is the same. Our system did get rebooted which brought up this issue. We are running on a CentOS VM.

6 answers

5 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2012

They need to have the global "can use" permission as well as any space related permissions. The default setup is to allow "confluence-users" that right, so you usually find that the answer to your question is "yes, they need to be in confluence-users"

The "can use" permission boils down to "can log in" really, although it's not quite that simple behind the scenes. Have a look at Admin -> Global permissions (same area as the other user maintenance functions)

You've got options - add their group to the global "can use" permission, allow anonymous access, set up another group (or set of groups) to allow "can use" on a more structured way and so-on.

Dale Edney May 14, 2012

Thanks Nic. That helped!

Like sss S likes this
Camille February 4, 2019

Thanks Nic this was what worked for me, confluence-users did not have "can use" allowed.

1 vote
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2011

Sounds like the users are not members of the group confluence-users. This could happen if you recently upgraded and something went screwy converting your ldap config to user directories.

What version of confluence do you have?

0 votes
calvin.dike July 15, 2019

General Configuration > Global Permissions > Add the confluence-users and give 'can use' permission. If you migrated to another confluence then check the group AD group that has all the users being migrated and assign 'can use' permission. Assigning Personal Space and Create Space permissions are up to you.

0 votes
Francis Vidal
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 25, 2012

This happened to me when I enabled "Synchronise Group Memberships" from the LDAP server. Users who logged in suddenly disappeared from the confluence-users group.

0 votes
Dale Edney May 14, 2012

Thanks Nic, that helped!

0 votes
Dale Edney May 13, 2012

Do users need to be members of the group 'confluence-users' or can they access a space if they are just a member of one of the groups that has permission to view the space?

I have a situation at the moment where a user isn't a member of 'confluence-users' but is a member of one of the gorups that has permission to view a given space, but when they try to log in they get the error message 'You are not permitted to perform this operation'.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events