Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Confluence display Error rendering macro toc null

Karis Van Valin June 30, 2020

toc_error.png

I can't figure out what caused the error. The toc is on a page that is using an "Include Page" (Main Page) and the pulled page proper(Child Page) is displaying the toc as expected. The macro was fine and displaying on the Main Page. Then we need to change the name of two pages and now even though the Main Page is pulling the page the toc macro is erroring.  The Main Page's ToC is properly showing the toc from the Included pages but not the separate instance of the toc from the Child Page. On the Child Page the Macro is displaying but if I go into the edit the preview is giving the same error but editing and publishing do not have the problem.   

Based on semi-similar bugs from the past, I have checked that all macros are considered "Paragraphs" not headers. I am not seeing anything different with this use case than others in our wiki as this is a common use case for our organization. 

We are on Server Confluence 7.2.1 and apps Scroll Platform/Runtime for Confluence/Versions/Viewport, Composition, Confluence Source Editor, User Switcher for Confluence all of which appear to not have any issues. (Not that I would expect a problem as ToC is Confluence proper) 

I have tried to make this as easy to understand as possible but am well aware how challenging the issue is to explain so please let me know if clarification is needed. 

1 answer

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2020

When you changed the names of the pages did you include any non-alpha characters in the title of the pages? I've found that this can sometimes cause issues. Especially if the page title has a colon (:) in it.

Karis Van Valin June 30, 2020

We occasionally use a ? but didn't have an issue before. It also isn't the case in any of the pages involved. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events